cMount to E-PL1 adaptor - quick test with 17mm and 25mm lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Robert Watcher, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

After my friend received the two cMount lenses that he found and purchased through ebay - and after my inexpensive cMount to m4/3 adaptor came in from China - - - I was curious to see how the lenses would fare on my Olympus E-PL1 and so I poped over to his house to do a very quick test to see what the coverage on the 4/3 format would be - and to test the general image quality, ease of use and usablity of the diminuative Wollensak Cine Raptor 17mm f2.7 and 25mm f1.9 lenses designed for the 16mm Bolex Film cameras - - - on my Olympus E-PL1.

The short video clip is on YouTube - YouTube - cMount to E-PL1 adaptor - quick test with 17mm and 25mm lens

The lenses are so small that it is crazy trying to get your fingers on the controls to change them, and to keep the fingers out of the front of the lens - - - but it was so fun also. The 25mm lens can be seen on the bench near the end of the clip. Very small manual aperture rings allow complete control without steps, and manual focus allows the front lens to be screwed right out. These are very simple lenses. The cool flare effect from opening the aperture to bright light, could not likely be achieved so well in post production.

Both lenses produced decent images - with the 17mm lens circle not covering the 4/3 fomat (which may be cool for some effects with video) and actually being a tad long so the the thread rubbed slightly against the E-PL1 insides leading up to the sensor - while the 25mm lens circle covered the 4/3 format with vignetting on the edges. Not real great close focusing ability as can be seen when trying to focus on objects a couple feet away from me at the end of the clip.

Here is a still that I took using the Wollensak Cine Raptor 17mm f2.7 at 2000 ISO: