Clueless about Ex. Tele Conversion

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by qoo77, Feb 3, 2013.

1. qoo77

qoo77 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2013
    hi all,

can someone explain to me about ex. tele conversion mode? how do i go about using it? i've set my GX1 to JPEG option and the tele mode is on. So what happens from here, what buttons do i press? Does my 45-200mm have a 300mm reach?? thanks from a noob!
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    When you choose a smaller resolution, instead of using the whole sensor, it will just use those pixels in the center,essentially increasing the "crop factor" of the sensor. While the total number of pixels decreases, the pixel pitch remains constant and so the spaces "between" the pixels are not enlarged like they would be through cropping in post.

In video mode, this makes the most sense because you can only use 1080 lines anyway.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. powderbanks

powderbanks Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    north carolina
    using ex-tele for stills isn't really have to use an image size smaller than the actual resolution of the sensor. it works really well for video because, like ~tc~ said, it only uses the pixels that it actually needs, so there's technically no loss in detail/quality.

in theory it works really well; but in practice, it's not always perfect. think of it in terms of video; the actual sensor size of the gx1 is 4592x4338 pixels. for video, you only need 1920x1080 for 1080p. by means of wizardry/witchcraft, the 4592x4338 sensor output is down-scaled to fit in the 1920x1080 pixels for 1080p resolution. in ex-tele mode, it will only use the central portion of 1920x1080 pixels of the image on the sensor. the only real drawback is that in low light, noise is dramatically increased and detail suffers as well. but in well lit scenes, the difference is barely noticeable. from testing a few lenses with it, some seem to perform better with it than others, and i'm not really sure if there is a reason to it.

not trying to whore this out, but i did a lens test with a bunch that i have, most all regular and ex-tele modes. this might help you make sense of it.

[ame=]test footage: gh2 (hacked), c-mount lenses, anamorphic lens on Vimeo[/ame]
  4. Hardric

Hardric New to Mu-43

Jul 12, 2013