1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Clouds Came Out Blue with OMD

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by klee, Jul 22, 2013.

1. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    Shot this in the bahamas on an amazing day. Fluffy cotton clouds and crystal clear blue water.

Was out with the OMD and kit lens because of the weather sealing. Shot this at 33mm, ISO 200, f5.6, 1/1000, normal gradation, 5300K white balance.

I can't figure out why the clouds didn't come out white in this shot. They came out tinted blue. I can't seem to correct it in Olympus Viewer 3. I know I would be able to with a masked filter in LR.... but I still can't figure out why the OMD shot the clouds blue.

Did I just not MTTR enough?

I don't think it's a white balance issue....

Attached Files:

2. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    BTW, the one above is the JPEG straight out of the camera. Here's a RAW processed in OV3.

Attached Files:

3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Clouds would be pretty blue over the ocean like that. You can't always trust your eye or memory because it lies by automatically "correcting" your perception to meet its expectations.

Regardless, I think 5300K is too low. 5600 to 6600 is more likely to give good results with all that blue sky and blue water influencing the lighting. I'm looking at this on a calibrated IPS monitor and ALL your whites look too blue to me.

Why didn't you just use auto white balance? Works great outdoors generally. Since you are not a "color meter" it's hard for you to know the exact light temperature.