Cloud PP? New Google Chrome notebook for $249

QualityBuiltIn

Mu-43 Veteran
cloud storage too

I'm very interested in the concept of using the cloud as a virtual HD. I've stuffed my built in storage and use an external drive but would like to move everything online.

I'm not talking about online sharing, Flickr, Facebook etc. I'm interested in using the cloud to store full size files of all my shots not just the 'keepers'.

Anyone have experience or suggestions?

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
I haven't moved fully to the cloud, but I have a Chrome book and like it a lot. It's a great solution for those of us who use a lot of Google services.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Google launches 11.6-inch ARM-based Samsung Chromebook: $249, ultrathin, 6.5-hour battery, 1080p video -- Engadget

Hardware like this (low cost, utilizing internet apps and storage), along with Google's acquisition of Nik, has me wondering how many will be moving photo editing, at least for travel, to the cloud?

I think it's an idea that might have merit, but not for 8-10 years, at least for most of us in the US. Files are too large. Connectivity is too slow. Even shooting JPEGs, the uploads take forever, and the new bandwidth caps being put in place by cable and DSL providers certainly won't help.

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
Google's current storage plans are $5/year for each 20 GB of cloud storage. Setting aside bandwidth limitations, that's $50/year or so for my existing photos, without space for my new ones. Not a very large amount of money, but i'm already paying a comparable amount for unlimited off site backup and I've got a local 6 TB array.

Comcast was, until very recently, enforcing a 250 GB/month bandwidth cap. I already blew through that this month after signing up for a new backup service, and I lucked out in that Comcast isn't currently enforcing. Have to be careful about the sheer amounts of bandwidth, let alone speed.

Art

Mu-43 All-Pro
Promit said:
Google's current storage plans are $5/year for each 20 GB of cloud storage. Setting aside bandwidth limitations, that's $50/year or so for my existing photos, without space for my new ones.

I thought Google Storage now available only as Google Drive is 2.5$/month for 25GB which makes it $30/year or 6x higher than $5 you quoted.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
I thought Google Storage now available only as Google Drive is 2.5$/month for 25GB which makes it $30/year or 6x higher than $5 you quoted.
Google tells me that I am "on a legacy plan". Looks like pricing has spiked upwards pretty badly...

arch stanton

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Malc
My current home broadband gets me an upload spead of about 100 kilobytes a second, and I'll happily shoot a few hundred raw photos in a day - that's three gigabytes.

I'm not going to wait 8 hours for my raw photos to upload to the internet; multi-gigabyte cloud storage is still a few years off. And that's a (admitedly not very fast) home connection, I dread to think what you'd get actually travelling.

4G mobile broadband is faster than this - but the network providers don't have the backbone to let us all fling dozens of gigs about every month without paying a data fortune.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think it's an idea that might have merit, but not for 8-10 years, at least for most of us in the US. Files are too large. Connectivity is too slow. Even shooting JPEGs, the uploads take forever, and the new bandwidth caps being put in place by cable and DSL providers certainly won't help.

In addition, the display is going to limit what you can do (at least on the Chromebook). You really want a calibrated, full-gamut display to do decent editing, and you're not going to get that in a machine at this price point, unfortunately.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
The reviews I'm seeing indicate that the display is mediocre at best. For photo editing, I'd say the Chromebok is a fail.

edwardconde

Mu-43 All-Pro
I know from within Chrome you can add some web apps that will allow you to photo edit. One that comes to mind is Photo effects, vintage, retro, online and free - Pixlr-o-matic. This app is also available on iOS. Its your preset filter type of editor but there may be some potential in the future... If you are in the google universe I could see it where you upload to your g-drive (takes time to upload) and your files will be available to edit from there as long as you are using the Chrome browser.

So in regards to the Chromebook i totally see it as a possibility. But again you must always be logged on in this scenario.

Latest threads

Top Bottom