1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

[CLOSED] R u suffering from Sony FullFramitis-check this hot sale of Sony A7 and A7R

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Bhupinder2002, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
  2. ScottGee1

ScottGee1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2014
    Motown!
    No surprise; Aussies get all the best deals.

:tongue:

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    It certainly doesn't sound as if the Sony is selling as well as many think (despite the 427+ pages of photos on Fred Miranda). :eek:

4. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    $1300 not $1050, Nic

5. Digidirect has changed their page and removed the special price on their website just as Camerapro did. This is what it looked like a couple of hours ago, whereas it now says $1348.

DigidirectA7_zps718ed313.jpg

Camerapro recently posted in the following Ozbargain thread that the additional $250 off deal is still available if you are one of their facebook subscribers.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/156387

• Like Like x 1
  6. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I believe they are dumping the Sony A7 probably in anticipation of a new FE mount full frame fashioned after the A6000 body which will make announcement in Photokina. It makes sense and probably be a new 24MP body. Nikon is also planning another 24MP full frame body lighter than the Df and D610 and probably making its announcement at Photokina. Currently, the only lightest body in the Nikon's FF arsenal is the Df and is slightly heavier than the A7 and the trend it seemed is for a feather light FF body with a 24MP sensor!

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd totally get an A7 if I was shooting mainly MF. Though I stil need AF and I find the FE lenses too bulky and expensive.

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    So with the A7 only a year or so out, they are dumping it and making an A6000 clone in FF? What sort of confidence does that instil in customers, when what appeared to be a standard body style is already being fragmented? There are three identical bodies with which a user would be completely familiar if they owned two or three of them for different purposes, and now that idea is being tossed out. If it's true, then it just confirms that Sony has no idea where it wants to go.

9. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    The current A7 already looks like an A6000 with a prism hump anyway, IMO.

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Maybe, but it's the control layout that's important and the consistency of handling; however, I don't see the point, if this is what Sony plans to do.

11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    They just want to appeal to the rangefinder ****** collectors! :rolleyes: :biggrin:

12. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Oh is *that* what they are saying, it will lose the hump? That I would like.

13. This is not without precedent: OM-D/Pen, GH/GX, NXxx/NXxxx, XT/XE, etc.

14. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

If Sigma made their lenses in a mount for this, I'd actually consider buying it...

Z...

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I understand that, but what I meant is that I think it indicates that the A7 is not the blockbuster that it's sometimes made out to be (notwithstanding those 427+, sorry, 444 pages of photos and comment on Fred Miranda). Considering that its non-discounted price is lower than the E-M1 to start with, and is now selling at almost the E-M10 price, is astounding.

16. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    According to bcnranking.jp Sonys share of the mirrorless market jumped over 6% from 2013 levels to over 26% of market share in 2014....a couple of points behind Olympus and a fair way in front of Panasonic (14%). The impression I get is that there is a vast number of people out there who have been so close to jumping onto the Sony A7 bandwagon but have held off due to lack of lenses or due to lack of a 'specific' lens (which they want/need). I can only imagine that once Sony releases a few more key lenses(native lenses)...a large number of those waiting to get on board will do precisely that. http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbcnranking.jp%2Faward%2Fgallery%2F2014%2Fhard%2Fp2.html

The way one views such factors (introductory pricing/price drops a year on) really depends on your point of view....Is Sony to be applauded for releasing such a camera at such a price? Or do m43 manufacturers really need to take good hard look at their (bloated some might say) pricing ? Who's getting ripped off ? Who's getting value for money ?

I have to admit to being one of those people waiting patiently....I may however need to be VERY patient as who knows when (if ever) Sony/Zeiss will release f1.4 FE primes at the focal lengths I want. When they do...I'll get on board without hesitation and I don't think I'll be alone....how many would jump on tomorrow were Sony to release a native FE 35mm/1.4 or 85mm/1.4 ??

17. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The rankings probably consist mainly of Nex cameras, which appear to be relatively popular. If this is the case, and Sony is going to make the A7 look like the Nex/A6000, then it'll be eating into its own camera base. The question to ask is whether Sony is keeping the price artificially low in order to attract buyers and if that's not working, drop the price even more? Who are they competing against, Olympus/Panasonic, Nikon, Canon, Samsung?

I no longer, or certainly at the moment, do professional photography and, even if I did, no matter what lenses Sony introduced, I wouldn't be buying into their system. If it were necessary to go FF, I'd look at Nikon and have Olympus as a second system. Sony is just too unreliable to spend any money on unless you're a well healed amateur who can buy and get rid of cameras at a whim. Also, not being a depth of field Nazi, f2 lenses do me fine.

18. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I really dislike the shutter placement. Ergonomically, the A7/r sucks "for me". Especially after the EM1.

19. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Sony's share of which mirrorless market? Japan's?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.