1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

'Close-Up Wide-Angle'

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, Dec 29, 2011.

1. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    I *always* use my wide angle lenses UP CLOSE. The shots are always dramatic and have an element of motion that can't be captured any other way. For example, I shoot my son's High School Nordic Ski team races, and always bring two cameras. One I have on a monopod shoved into the snow, with a long lens to capture intense shots of skier's faces on the course. The other is my 7—14mm panny, cranked as wide as it will go, out as close to the track as I dare, on a gorilla-pod mini-tripod, with a remote shutter in my hand. I shoot multiple frames as the skier passes the camera. The shots are always stunning.

2. I tend to use this method as well because it can deliver some dramatic perspectives. However, it is important to watch your backgrounds because wide-angle lenses can create some very busy looking bokeh or smearing that can be unpleasant to look at. If the lens is stopped-down and the focus distance isn't too short, the depth-of-field will be big enough to avoid this problem.

6510257551_d604711cef_z.
    M Zuiko 9-18mm

6312051485_c09e2c3c47_z.
    M Zuiko 9-18mm

Sigma 10-20mm

[​IMG]
    Decent out-of-focus background - Sigma 10-20mm

5197660875_890eacf265_b.
    Bad out-of-focus background - Zuiko 9-18mm (4/3)

• Like Like x 4