1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Close up lenses

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JonathanS, Oct 3, 2011.

1. JonathanS

JonathanS Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 13, 2010
    Is the a close up lens attachment in 58mm that provides excellent IQ?
    I hear that the Oly lens has quite high CA.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There is no close-up lens that attaches to the front of the lens which provides excellent, good, or arguably even decent image quality. If you want to get closer with good image quality, first start with a good macro lens then add extension tubes to get even closer. Secondarily, you can also add teleconverters... but the kind which fit between the lens and body, not the kind that screw on the front of the lens.

If you must use a front screw-on type Close-Up filter, then the Canon one is said to be the best with the Nikon coming in close. If you're using a real teleconverter, then the Olympus ones have the best reputation. If you're using extension tubes, then it really doesn't matter who makes them... they don't have any optics. Nikon however, seems to have the best setups for tubes and bellows.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    From a cheap closeup lens on the 20mm. 1600ISO at f/9 and 1/40s, handheld mucking about. Look for a multicoated lens, preferably a doublet. Closeup lenses are very misunderstood accessories. The have the advantage of no light loss and allowing the lens to work at images distances it is designed for. Extension tubes ad bellows introduce there our problems. Teleconverters can be worse than a closeup lens as the closeup lens does not impact the host lens's resolving power.

Attached Files:

4. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I use Nikon T5 (+1.5 diopters) , Nikon T6 (+2.9 diopters) and Marumi DHG 200 (+5 diopters) close-up lenses. These are Achromat lenses (dual elements) and are of VERY high quality. The Nikons have long been discontinued, maybe you can find them on ebay if you're lucky. The Marumis are available on Amazon and ebay. If you go with the Marumi, make sure you get the DHG Achromat's, they also offer single element close-up lenses, but they're for "rookies", the quality is only so-so, this applies to any of the single element close-up lenses. Marumi also has a DHG 500 (+2 diopters). All my close-up lenses are Achromats and in 62mm size. I use a 58mm-62mm step-up ring when using them on my mZuiko 40-150 zoom. They give OUTSTANDING results at about the 100mm focal length.
    Canon also has Achromats, but at more than twice the price, image results are equal to the Nikon's and Marumi's. There is another thread where I listed the diopter system, showing the diopters and working distance.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
  6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
  7. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
  8. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    There are some very good close-up lenses that provide excellent image quality, but they're not commonly available. Look up Leitz Macrotars and other high quality close-up lenses/filters. I'm using them a lot even on my macro lenses, and they're outstanding. No visible distortion or artifacts. Worth trying. If you want to use them on a 58mm thread, you might need some filter adapters.

9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
  10. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
  11. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I use the Kenko AC Close-Up No. 3. It's an achromatic design and it produces images of great quality on Micro 4/3.

12. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Marumi Achromat

I am very satisfied with Marumi Achromat 200 (+5D) performance with Oly 14-150mm lens and I enjoy quick AF in macro.

P9053847.
    P9053832.

• Like Like x 2
  13. JonathanS

JonathanS Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 13, 2010
    Thanks everyone. Sammyboy and Art, great work with those achromatic lenses.
    I should have included that I already own macro lenses, and am just looking for a way to lighten the kit (which is the point of my 4/3 kit in the first place).
    The Nikon, Canon, or Marumi, multi element lenses look to do a very nice job based upon what you have showed me.
    Thanks

14. JonathanS

JonathanS Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 13, 2010
    Cropping?

Art,
    How much were those two shots cropped?

15. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    those are not heavily cropped.
    The image below is 100% magnification to give you an idea. Oly 14-150 at 150mm f18 or 22 (for DoF) wirh small external flash. About 50% crop.

V76bvGIa.

16. peaceridge

peaceridge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    I'm really new at all this and want to take macro images. I have an EPL2. Can someone explain or point me in the direction - besides price <grin> what is the advantage of the panny macro 45 over one of the DHG Achromat filters? The pics in this discussion look really good to me - what am I missing?

Thanks,

17. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    The only advantage of close-up lens is that it's much cheaper than dedicated macro lens and it takes very little space in your bag which is perfect for casual macro.
    Macro lens can focus at any distance, not necessarily macro only.
    With close up lens you can only shoot at macro distance, otherwise everything is blurry so you have limited working distance. Also, from my experience with close-up lenses, your DoF is very shallow once you attach it. Especially, at max magnification you have to use very small apertures which more often than not will necessitate the use of external flash. Close-up lenses work best with telephoto zooms such as Oly 14-150mm, 40-150mm, Panasonic 45-200 or 14-140mm, etc.

18. peaceridge

peaceridge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011

Thanks so much, this really helps! This is such a great group of folks to help out newbeys! Guess I'll spend the extra $ and get the macro lens.

19. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    OK, so I got them and played with them.

Verdict: First of all, the 10x magnification lens is terrible, it is basically useless.

The others are just fine though. For $11 they are pretty good. I'm not sure if it beats having a dedicated macro though. I think I would be more likely to just use the 1:4 magnification on the 14-42 Mk.I instead of messing around with diopters on the 40-150.

20. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    What you will find is perhaps sharp centers with rapid degradation to the edges.
    Don't be afraid to use them, there are many times when the edges really don't matter, because they will be out of focus even with the best macro lens.
    Keep is posted, macro is a whole different world.