Close-uo diopters

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tobyjug, Sep 21, 2011.

1. tobyjug

tobyjug New to Mu-43

Sep 21, 2011
    Hi to all,
    As a new member I would like to ask if anyone else has tried to use a diopter.
    I have just purchased a set of Kood close-up diopters to use with my G2 & my 14-42 & 45-200. But have found I can't focus in auto or manual. I also use a 45 macro lens, but as we know you have to get close up and bugs don't seem to like that.
  2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I had a Canon 250D close-up lens lying around so I decided to buy a step-up ring and put it on the Panny 45-200mm. I got the same problems you mention, it's almost impossible to focus and the distance range is quite narrow especially at 200mm. After 10 minutes I ended the experiment, conclusion: totally useless.

If you want a long macro lens, you'd better try to pick up a legacy 100mm macro lens. Unfortunately these are getting more expensive by the day :frown:.
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

First off welcome to the forum tobyjug. Diopters (or close up lenses) are best focused by moving the camera rather than AF or traditional MF. There is a small sweet spot so rails on a tripod or table is the way to go. Hand-holding is possible but extremely difficult.

Some reading here and here.
  4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I use a Raynox DCR-250 and confirm that to focus you have to put the distance to infinity and move the camra back and forth. Ver difficult but possibile with a good amount of exercise. Remember that at 200 you have a really narrow depth of field.
  5. I use Raynox 250, Raynox 150 and Canon 500D diopters on my 45-200 on a G3. I almost always use auto-focus. I find auto-focus works fine, just like it did when I used the same diopters on my Canon SX10is bridge camera and S3is bridge camera before that. It took some experimentation and practice to get the hang of how to use them.

It is very important to get the working distance right for diopters (the working distance is the distance between the diopter and the subject).

You can only gain focus when the working distance is within a certain range. For more powerful diopters, this range is smaller, which makes them more difficult to use. The Raynox 250 is the most powerful of these three diopters and is the most difficult to use. The 500D is the least powerful and the easiest to use.

I tend to use the 150 and the 500D most. I tend to use the 150 for flies, bees, wasps, beetles, spiders, snails etc, and the 500D for small flowers, butterflies, damselflies, dragonflies, crane flies and other larger insects.

I use the 250 for small flies, small spiders, froghoppers, rhododendron bugs and other small animals, and sometimes for water droplets.
  6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    For those who don't know how the diopter system for close-up lenses works, here is an example. Divide 1 meter by the diopter to give the distance from subject to front of lens when the lens is set to infinity.
    There are 25.4mm in 1 inch. You can also stack where a +2 and +3 = a +5.

+1 diopter = 1/1 = 1 meter from subject to front of lens......(39.37")
    +2 diopter = 1/2 = 500mm from subject to front of lens.......(19.69")
    +3 diopter = 1/3 = 333mm from subject to front of lens.......(13.11")
    +4 diopter = 1/4 = 250mm from subject to front of lens.......(9.84")
    +5 diopter = 1/5 = 200mm from subject to front of lens.......(7.87")
    Hope someone finds this useful.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Than you! Could be useful for 12mm 3d user.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  8. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I have two: 58mm Century Precision Optics +2, +7

They are hefty and solid pieces of glass (as you would expect from Century.) I've tried them on several lenses with mixed results when it comes to being able to focus as opposed to moving myself. They're fun on my longer primes, but even on the 14/20mm primes, they can be interesting (focusing is not advised due to the weight of the extra glass.) I also use them with an adapter on my G12.
  9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I have the DCR-250 but seriuosly thinking about buying also the DCR-150 because it is easier to focus with longer lens. The 250 is realy nefty to use with focal lenghts that reach 300mm and I'm talking about it on the K5 which has IBIS. DOF is realy in very few mm. So what the experience teaches is thaat for longer focal lenghts it's easier to use the DCR-150 which has less diopters than DCR-250 which is about 8-10 if I remember well.
  10. The DCR-250 is 8 diopters, the DCR-150 is 4.8 diopters.
  11. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
  12. tobyjug

tobyjug New to Mu-43

Sep 21, 2011
    Thanks to all for the advise. I may give it another go at some stage. I have just ordered a set of extention tubes so will see how I get on with those first.
    Regards Steve