Clone stamp or layer or what to fix?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by dlhomesolutions, May 3, 2016.

1. dlhomesolutions

dlhomesolutions Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Can you take a look at the little light grey spot just left of the subjects neck?

I can't for the life of me find any way to edit that out without it looking weird. Any ideas?

I can send the .tiff or raw file if needed. bulitta-1.

2. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    bulitta-2. Clone tool should do it or use color picker and brush tool. Have deleted image from computer

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  3. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    "Clone stamp or layer ..."

My vote is both.

My first attach on such "evils" with Ps is to:
    1. create a new layer
    2. use clone stamp to clone the darker grey into the area of the light "evilness" totally ignoring the edges of the neck, ear and collars.
    3. add a mask to the layer with the clone greyness.
    4. with experimentation, adjust the brush tool's size and hardness so that its feathering matched the blurred edges of the background image. This will likely need to be adjusted for each of the differing edges.
    5. use the brush to paint black on the mask to remove the "overspray" from the cloning and to reveal an edge matching the original in (un)sharpness.

By using the layer mask method of refining the edge of the cloning you can easily switch back and forth between black and white to refine the edge, try various hardness settings, and to fix errors.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Nice. That's exactly what i need to do . You nailed it.

5. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Try the color picker first and adjust the brush opacity and size

6. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Is there like a dropper or something I can use to select a color in the photo? I am new to photoshop

Sent from my SM-N920V using Mu-43 app

7. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Yes, the eyedropper tool. Right click on it to select it, then select the area/color you want to use, left click to select. Get the brush tool and experiment with size and opacity and paint in the area you want to adjust. Use a copy of the original to experiment

8. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    For some reason I can't find the eyedropper in any of the modules. I am on a mac. Is it in the top right where the color pallette is?

9. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I don't have PS in front of me, but I think you can alt-click with the brush tool to select a color from the image.

10. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    eyedropper.
    its in the column of tools and looks like an eyedropper

11. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    That will work also

12. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Lol. It looks like it got hidden in the panel. Thanks guys.

13. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I took a patch from the wall on the left and pasted as a new layer:

Used the Curves tool to match the tone. Then added a Layer Mask (starting with full transparency) and with 50% opacity I painted in the new layer (with Gimp you use white to show, black to erase). Then merged down this new layer with the main one and used the Smudge tool on the borders. Then did some scattered clone with a large "dust shaped" brush and a very low opacity to add some noise.

I think you can use about anything, the most important thing for me is to use different layers, layer masks, low opacity brushes to be able to fine tune and correct what you do.

@dwig@dwig I swear I did not read your post :)