clinic c/c welcome

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by caimi, May 14, 2013.

1. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Okay guys, give me your thoughts. I had bright overhead sun and an OMD with a p45-200 stuck on the front. Processed in LR4 and SilverEfex. And I don't mind your own processing efforts to add what you believe improves the image. Have at it and thanks in advance. (Just don't make the horse purple-my wife wouldn't understand.)

o_donohugh.

2. the_traveler

the_traveler Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    It looks like there are large blown out patches on the horse and the man.
    Are these recoverable in the original file?

3. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    i would prefer to look at the rider/horse facing the camera.
    and also the rule of thirds to have a feeling that the horse has a lot of ground to play in.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I agree with this.^ There's nothing flattering about the angle from which this horse and rider (on the right) are captured and I'd like to see more "headroom" above the rider. Additionally, the second rider immediately behind the instructor is distracting.

Also, I realize that the lighting scenario was difficult, but there appear to be several areas of blown out highlights. I would try to do a bit more to recover these, if possible.

I do like the B&W conversion.

5. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Good comments guys.
    Blown out patches are recoverable and I will get to that this evening.

Purpose of this angle was to focus on the instructor. Being around horses every day, I don't mind staring into a horse's ass.
    Agree that the rider behind the instructor is a liability for this pic. I might try to disappear her.
    DeeJay: Just curious what you believe more headroom will do for the picture. I cropped out the headroom because I was trying for a more intimate image of instructor and rider.

6. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I can see that the instructor would be the natural focal point for this shot. With that in mind, I wish that the rider were looking at him which would tend to draw the viewer's eye toward him. Also, the viewer's attention tends to be drawn to the brightest part of the image, which in this case is the horse and/or the sky. If you can darken (burn) both of these a bit, that might help.

Given the background that's going to be tough to do while maintaining a natural look, or at least it would be for me. The effort would only be worth it if I thought the resulting image was going to be truly special.

I realize there's no relevant information "lost" in that area which you've cropped, but the current close cropping just feels a bit constrained to me.

7. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Version 2: Rider and horse behind instructor scomparso! Blowouts burned in as much as possible.

clinic2.

8. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Wow! Great work on cloning out the second rider. I'm only looking at the image on my phone's tiny screen, but these changes have improved this image considerably. I'll take another look at the image on a larger monitor tomorrow.

sent from my phone using the Mu-43 app

9. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    The magic of photoshop.

10. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Much better. You missed a bit the the other horse's shin guard and the dog's face. I would clone out the little piece of fence along the edge as well.

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    This was my main comment. The horse's arse is the leading piece in the pic.

In terms of adjusting, maybe post the original? It would be hard to do anything off this finished one. btw -- I don't mind the treatment at all. Just not the bum of the horse.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Nice work! Angle is still an issue, but 100 internet points for major photoshop magic. I like this treatment a bit better, too.

13. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    MM: Thanks. Good eye and I agree about what I missed. However, to the casual viewer the horse's shinguard is unidentifiable and looks like maybe a jump standard behind the instructor. So I left it. The dog's face and the other jump standard add atmosphere to the image imo - so I left them.

14. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    WT21: Can I cash in my 100 internet points on new gear?

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yes, virtual gear :)

16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    With the other horse gone, my eye is now drawn to the instructor. The pic is certainly improved. Is there anyway to blur a bit the horse bush outline? Of course, if you never knew there was a horse there, you wouldn't see it I suppose.

17. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    WT21: I didn't use enough of a blurred edge brush to do the disappear. I did a quick and dirty thinking the brush/trees are busy enough that, as you said, if you didn't know a horse head was there previously you wouldn't see any telltale signs.

18. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I live in Thailand and have to deal with this sort of harsh light (double peaks and either side of the histogram) throughout most of the day.. Realistically I only get decent light 7.00-8.30am and at dusk 5.15 to 6.15pm.

So you are not really going to end up with an excellent photo in that very harsh light.

I do think there are two things that you could do which would help.

First, you could have underexposed the photo. Although you have peaks at both ends of the histogram, reclaiming shadows is far easier than reclaiming highlights.

Secondly, (I rather suspect that this was shot as a jpeg) but if it was shot in RAW you would have been far better off processing in Photo Ninja than in ACR or (say Aperture). Photo Ninja 'creates' detail in overexposed highlights. If you dont believe me simply try it and you will see. (Or post a link with the RAW file I will show you.)

19. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Thanks Robbie. I only shoot in RAW but I will make a note to give Photo Ninja a try.

20. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I would be interested if you could post a link to the RAW. I rarely see such harsh light from anywhere western, so would like to see what could be done.