Clever WSJ Blog, with an M43 punchline

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by thinkcooper, Apr 2, 2012.

1. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    • Like Like x 3
  2. cpt000

cpt000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    The iphone and it's rivals will effectively wipe out the <$200 P&S digicam market in less than 5 years.

But no amount of software trickery can ever replace a solid set of primes.

The iphones could actually open up a whole new market for m43 and DSLRs as people start to realize the limitations of their iphone's capabilities (e.g. low light, kids at soccer)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    or any kind of print past a wallet...
  4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Print? Prints are so yesterday.

Seriously, I'd be surprised if 1/1000th of 1 percent of cell phone pics ever get printed. They get uploaded to facebook, or tweeted to their "followers," or posted to Picassa or similar sharing sites. If they get printed at all, it's on a calendar given as a holiday present.

For Facebook sized and compressed prints, and for the relevant audience, prints and primes might as well be Latin.

Only a tiny percentage of Instamatic users ever migrated to 35mm cameras. Few phone users will ever migrate to MILCs or DSLRs.

Amusing anecdote, slightly related: When I was in college, I worked several summers at the largest independent photo lab in the US. We ran thousands of rolls of negative film through there every day (and a few dozen rolls of B&W and slide film). It was pretty typical to see a roll of film that had Christmas at the beginning of the roll, graduation or a birthday party in the middle, and the following Christmas at the end.

At least with cell phones people actually take and share pictures.
  5. thinkcooper

Oct 29, 2011
    Agreed. There's been a rebirth of casual photography via smartphone cameras, clever apps and social networking.

Who knows what the percentage is that will move into dedicated cameras, but I have a hunch that there's a wave of camera gear sales attributable to living in times where we are surrounded by photographic images.
  6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I've seen perfectly nice 8x10s out of iPhone photos. Not most of them, obviously, but the handful that really turn out, especially from the 4S. That said, nobody doing iPhone pics really wants to print to begin with. Most people are aiming at Facebook/Twitpic/Instagram sizes, which are 2 MP outputs at their very, very largest and usually much smaller.
  7. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    The point of the article remains that full featured cameras are obsolete. I gave one reason they aren't. Trust me there is a larger laundry list than the author assumes. I won't even get into the ridiculous hyperbole of his arguments, as I believe it was intended to be more of a fun piece. That's just the point, shooting with an iphone can be fun and that's where traditional camera's fail in comparison. However, obsolence is a long way away as the phone makers will never upgrade the camera sensor to compete with people that enjoy photography as a hobby. People that still make prints. People that go to photography shows, to exhibit, or to attend. Lest we forget, 35mm film was really the advent of affordable photography, sports, and wildlife as a hobby for amateurs. Before that it was a rich mans hobby, an artistic pursuit, and the act of archivalists. The author is incorrect in assuming rendundancy or obsolescence, the camera phone is additive much like 35mm was in the 60's and 70's.

Oh, I still haven't seen a print worth a penny yet. And I get them every card holiday... I just sigh. Then again I also understand, that when you're contracted in with your $300 phone with data you need to do something with it besides facebook and twitter... *cough* "everyman" *coughbscough*
  8. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Obviously the WSJ never heard of our killer app, the PenPal! Why, the iPhone looks like a old piece of garbage a bum is using for a plate for his hobo beans in comparison!
  9. thinkcooper

Oct 29, 2011
    Wish the PenPal had iOS support. I'd be on it like stink on s**t.
  10. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Hah! I do this. I always carry the PenPal, and just transfer to my Android cell phone. People ask me why the quality of my cell photo uploads look so good- it's because I cheat :wink:

Also- the PenPal (as far as I know) don't work on iPhones, with the limitations of bluetooth connectivity Apple has placed on the device, which is too bad- as I think a lot of the iPhone people who like using the phone camera would be interested in an "upgrade."

Eventually it won't be a "ยต4/3 is for serious-point and shoot upgraders" it will be for "cell phone upgraders."
  11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, I personally didn't find it particularly amusing or insightful. That phones make good point and shoot cameras is hardly news! Lumping u43 into the P&S market though is neither amusing or insightful either - just plain wrong!
  12. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    There have been a lot of new fads/trends throughout the history of photography, and yet higher end cameras and photographers have proliferated as well. Probably the beginning was the Kodak Brownie Camera that started selling in 1900 and over two years ended up in the hands of 250,000 - and the major step that the George Eastman needed to gain Kodak national then international fame.
  13. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    This is a 3 year old article, risen from the dead...
    • Like Like x 1