1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Cleaning Pany Senors

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by D7k1, Sep 4, 2015.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I know that Olympus frowns on cleaning their IBIS sensor, I wonder if you can clean a Pany sensor like the Gx7 or Gx8 (wet clean that is)?

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    You can. I've done it.

3. The recommendation about not cleaning Olympus sensors only began when the "floating" sensor was debuted in the E-M5. Before that the sensors where mechanically connected to the body and could be locked down when the camera was unpowered. I think that the GX7 IBIS is similar.

4. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Similar to the Oly?

5. Sorry, I meant similar to the original Olympus IBIS.

6. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I've cleaned stubborn cruddy stuff off my GX7 using a PecPad and isopropyl, just used the wetted tip. It worked, but not immediately, the next day I repeated the process and bingo the crud was gone. Using a floppy tissue wetted in alcohol exerts no (minimal) force unlike a swab I suspect.

7. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    If you're going to do this I suggest using Eclipse cleaning fluid (you can order it from amazon) instead of isopropyl alcohol which leave a bit of residue. The Eclipse cleaning fluid is the purest form of alcohol we can buy, and it leaves no residue behind. PecPads (also can be ordered from amazon) as you suggest are the best "wipes" to use, not only on sensors but on lenses also.

For use on sensors the PecPad should be wrapped on a SensorWand such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GC2LWG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

...to prevent the PecPad material from coming in contact with anything on the sides of the "well" going down to the sensor. You can get grease/lube from the shutter components down on the sensor components and wind up with very expensive trouble.

This wand comes with one PecPad wrapped on it so you can see how to fold and place others.

8. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Thanks Bif - I did actually use Eclipse on the PecPad, I was just being short on words with my description. My instinct was to keep a steady hand, somewhat like a brain surgeon, to prevent touching anything other than the sensor glass. How much easier it would be with a sensor wand so thanks for the heads-up on this.

9. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I use the visible dust product, their smear-a-way was the only thing that could clean the oil off my D200 and D7000. My only concern is if Pany has done a floating sensor like Oly, if so I'll send it in. If not then I'll do it myself.

10. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    I too still clean the sensors of my D200 and older D1X with Visible Dust products. I read somewhere that newer sensors required a different chemical. I wonder if they are safe for Panasonic filters?

11. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I think there is a answer on the visible dust page, but I can't remember.

12. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I'm pretty sure Visible Dust is the brand of wet swab I've used. I've cleaned my GX1, my girlfriend's NX210, and should probably clean my GX7 soon.

13. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Remember, with the Panasonic cameras you really can't clean the actual sensor. One of two IR cut filters is mounted in front of the sensor. Around the perimeter of that bluish green filter is a coil made of very fine wire, effectively functioning as a voice coil. The auto cleaning signal is fed to that coil and causes the filter to vibrate in much the same way as a speaker cone would. The good news is that the filter is very durable, far more durable that the face of the actual sensor. The bad news is that "if" dust manages to get behind that filter you can't clean it. In that case the entire mount box ass'y needs to be disassembled, cleaned and realigned. That's a factory job!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I use the Copper Hill System. Love it and much less expensive than other brands.

15. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    thank you for the information greatly appreciated.