1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cleaning greasy GH2 lcd

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by isabel95, Mar 19, 2012.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Made the mistake of wearing sun screen last time I used my GH2 and the microfiber cloth does not remove the greasy smudges.

What liquid cleaner is safe to use for degreasing the GH2 lcd?

I emailed panasonic and am awaiting a reply.

Isabel

2. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I looked for ages for a liquid cleaner that was safe to ues on LCD screens. Even PCWorld didn't have anything that was alcohol free. What I ended up with I found at Maplins. It's just called " Cleaning Solution". Specifically designed for LCD camera and laptop screens. It's alcohol free. It came with a microfiber cloth. Works extremely well in removing greasy marks/fingerprints.

btw I'm in the UK but I guess Maplins is also in the USA.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Staples has LCD monitor cleaning wipes that do the trick nicely on all kinds of screens.

• Like Like x 4
  4. 00r101

00r101 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2012
    1) Get a soft, pure cotton cloth
    2) Wet with a little distilled water
    3) Get the screen very slightly wet with the cloth
    4) Let sit for a few minutes
    5) Wipe with dry cotton cloth using some gentle rubbing on the sticky bits.

Water is called the universal solvent for a reason. Properly used it will remove all organics from your screen.

5. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

6. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    The standard in the film industry (at least in Miami) has been Kim Wipes and Purosol. Both are really inexpensive and the quality is tops.

I shot (1st AC) a PSA for the US Coast Guard over the weekend and to clean off the sea spray on one body and two large lenses I used only two wipes and a few sprays of Purosol. This combo is also used for scientific applications as well.

I'm not sure whats inside Purosol but its gental yet cleans deep. It's the only thing I've used in my career that can take a camera after a full day of use on the beach and make the finish like new again.

I also use cleaning cloths from time to time for non optical surfaces at home but keep in mind that oils and dirt build up so don't forget to throw the cloths in the wash from time to time.

The Monster Kit will probably be good to start but consider this solution down the road.

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FT71P8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=blogofphotgiu-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005FT71P8">Lint Free Kim Wipes 4.5" x 8.5" 280 Sheets</a>http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=blogofphotgiu-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B005FT71P8" width="1" height="1" border="0" alt="" style="border:none !important; margin:0px !important;" />

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W8OZE2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=blogofphotgiu-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000W8OZE2">Purosol All Natural Lens Cleaner 4oz.</a>[img]http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=blogofphotgiu-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B000W8OZE2" width="1" height="1" border="0" alt="" style="border:none !important; margin:0px !important;" />

• Like Like x 1
  7. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Just wondering why no alcohol? I use a 50/50 solution of denatured (rubbing) alcohol and distilled water - works just fine. Maybe I'm missing something?

8. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Most cleaners are a similar mix but if you don't mix it right you can strip the coating off the lens and/or damage the finish of the body.

9. flaxseedoil1000

flaxseedoil1000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Not missing a thing, I do the same, works great.