Cleaning EM-1 + 12-40

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by griswoldo, Feb 14, 2015.

1. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Any thoughts about running this combo under a faucet to clean it off? I've seen YouTube videos of people doing this, but thought I'd ask here if anyone has done this, or if it's not a good plan, if anyone has other tips for cleaning the exterior of the camera and lens. Thanks!
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Soft brush? How dirty is it?
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    Olympus has a new E-M1 Weather Resistance guide that says:
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think there is only one question to ask yourself at a time like this:

• Like Like x 2
  6. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Great information, thanks everyone! It's not incredibly dirty, just what comes from average use. I'd like to maintain it right, and this info is exactly what I needed. Better to ask and put a little work in rather than take the easy way out. Thanks again!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    I have no experience on this, but all the IPX certifications differ mostly for the amount of water pressure and angle. The rain does not apply a lot of pressure while the faucet does (I'm just making common sense assumptions here). It think that rain drops almost completely bounce away.

E-M1 is IPX1 that means:

IPX-1 Protected against falling water Equivalent to 3-5mm rainfall per minute for a duration of 10 minutes.
    Unit is placed in its normal operating position.

Often the actual resistance is higher then the declared one.

I would expect no problems from gently pouring water over the camera with your hand a few times. But it's not my camera... :)
  8. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    I don't have a "splash proof" camera but if I did I would not only worry about just rain but I'd be concerned about acid rain! I'd wipe off the camera whenever it got any kind of rain on it or the lens. As the instructions above noted I'd start with a gentle soapy solution (to neutralize the acid rain) wrung out to just be a damp cloth. Then I'd re-wipe it down again with a dry cloth and let it air dry the spots I may have missed. We've all paid a lot for our gear and I'm sure that, like me, you want it to last.