Cleaning camera with electric toothbrush

Real Name
Richard
The other day I replaced my dilapidated brush on my electric toothbrush and I thought the old one would make an excellent way to clean those corners in the camera that accumulate dust.
I scrubbed the old brush and left it to dry for a few days.
Tried it out last night on my EM1
It worked very well.

The bristles were softer and well splayed (yes it was well overdue for replacement! )
Previously I'd poked in corners with a cloth, hanky but didn't have same effect as this.

When I first got my toothbrush few years back I thought they were useful for other applications but never explored that.
Just need some sanding pads and I could use in my woodworking 🙂

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I have old toothbrushes in every toolbox and cleaning cupboard.

For a stiffer clean, denture brushes work very well also. I must buy some more of these, as the batch inherited from my father in law are starting to resemble plastic sticks. These can also be turned into a different kind of cleaning tool with some imaginative reshaping.

Real Name
Richard

An interesting idea, but i would be worried about pushing dirt into where it should not go.
But then I worry too much :)
I'd thought about that and avoided areas where such could happen.
Hopefully! 😊
I've used old toothbrushes for yonks, but looking at the rather bedraggled and about to be discarded electric brush I thought I'd give it an extended life.
It does (IMO) give a better clean than a manual brush.
Manual brushes haven't been displaced from my toolbox though

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
I guess we are talking about the exterior, and NOT the sensor or shutter...

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Ya the toothbrush won't really help on those. I recommend steel wool or a brass bristled tool on a Dremel.
:roflmao:
Smoker's toothpowder + electric toothbrush would shift even the most stubborn sensor dust. Just don't forget to wash the residue away with a kettle of boiling water afterwards. Job done. 👍

Real Name
Richard
Well! Here's my thread, completely covered in all manner of spit'n dribble, toothpaste now valve grinding paste :laugh:

:Welcome: to all an sundry. Keep em coming :rofl:

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I use spectacle lens cleaner on a microfiber cloth to clean the sensor. Then cover it with an lcd screen protecto, cut down from an olld Kindle. No more dust of grease for me..

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom