1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cleaning 25mm 1.4

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by colbycheese, Jun 24, 2013.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    my lens had a smudge mark on it, i don't know why, so i blew off the dust particles and wiped it with a eyeglass cloth. The smudge did not go away but just spread out on the lens. Is it safe to use a eyeglass cloth? is there anything else i can do without buying something from the store? i am very scared that i scratched the lens. I think the smudge could be a fingerprint mark so i am hoping it's not a scratch. What should i do? How does a scratch on a lens look like?

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Breath on it and use an unused eyeglass cloth. You're good to go. A minor scratch won't show up on pictures from a lens like that but I don't think you scratched it.

3. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    thanks for the quick reply as i was worried. The mark looks like a cloud. I feel pretty good now as it probably is not a scratch. I think i know why it got on there. I was putting on my lens cap without looking and i put it the wrong way. I quickly grabbed it before it was too late and i guess my finger touched it.. I just tried again to remove the smudge and it is not going away. Smudges don't affect photos that much do they? Also, how does a scratch look like on a lens?

4. phidauex

phidauex Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    Boulder, CO
    The lens nano-coating is probably irreparably damaged, and it will make all your photos look like bad HDR photos. If you'd like I'd be willing to buy the damaged lens from you for $50, just for the spare parts.

Just kidding, your lens is fine. The coating is similar to the anti-reflective coating on glasses - it is a little hydrophilic (oil liking) so the smudge is more visible to you. It won't affect your photos at all (perhaps in a testing lab you could identify the impact, but not in any real photos). You can clean it with glasses cleaning solution (that says it is safe for anti-reflective coatings), or just a clean lens cloth and some exhalation, as suggested.

5. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Lol you scared me there at the beginning! I did this:
    The Flashlight Test
    and no scratches! Not gonna worry about it

6. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Thats why im using uv filter. Im too anxious to go without

7. phidauex

phidauex Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    Boulder, CO
    Don't worry about it too much - the lens is designed to be out and about in the real world, it isn't a piece of optical laboratory equipment. If you pay a lot for good optics, might as well get the best performance you can by not using obstructing filters.

8. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Should i invest in something like a lenspen? I heard they are effective

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    If the smudge doesn't easily come off your best investment is a wet lens cleaning kit. Probably less expensive than a Lenspen. There is nothing wrong with having both. The Lenspen is very good at cleaning on the fly, the wet kit is good for tough 'smudges'.

Gary

10. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Thanks for the quick answer. If you had to pick one of the 2 (the lenspen or the wet cleaning kit), which one is more effective? Also, does it matter which company makes the cleaning kit? At henrys (my local camera store) they sell a sigma cleaning kit, which is a cloth and a spray bottle, and the giottos cleaning kit. I am assuming that the giottos one is probably better cause i own one of their blowers.

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I'd get the wet kit first as it is more effective on stubborn smudges, for dust the rocket blower. The wet solutions are pretty much the same. I use a kit, a little plastic carrying case with cleaning fluid, a microfiber cloth and a brush.

Gary

12. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Thanks. I guess any of them will be OK. Going tommorow to get one

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Mu-43 mobile app