Clean sensor?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by thearne3, Feb 10, 2010.

1. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Greetings!

I recently noticed that I have very visible dust spots on my sensor. It becomes visible in pictures when using high apertures (eg, say f11 or above on a 40mm lens) and light subject matter.

Luckily, this is not a common occurrence - I try to avoid going over f8. Nevertheless, just wondering if anyone has tried/recommends any of the sensor cleaning techniques? I've tried the easy stuff: air blast from hand pump, cycling camera on and off.

Thanks!

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
  3. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    So Don,

How often should I expect to be cleaning the sensor? I've had my E-P1 since July. I'm pretty careful, but... initially I didn't realize that the sensor would attract dust if powered on when changing lenses :eek: Now, I'm wiser.

What's your experience?

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I've cleaned mine 2xs....but...I don't change lenses very often.
    The more you change, the more chance to get dust...
    Your right...turn the camera off before changing the lens

5. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    I've always found pointing the camera face down before changing lenses is the best method for not getting dust on the sensor.

I've done it this way for years, and never suffered a problem with sensor dust.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Heck, just moving a zoom lens in and out can suck dust in. But I always try and have the body facing down, and have as much ready as possible (hard if there’s no place to put the lenses down) so that the sensor is exposed for as little time as possible. After about 6 weeks and many lens changes, still not showing any problems, but I know from other cameras that all of a sudden I may need to do 2 cleanings in close proximity.

I’ve always used the Visible Dust wet system if I needed more than air or a statically discharged brush, but the other day I saw a “pen” made by the lens pen company, that was designed for sensors, and I’m wondering if this would work as an almost wet cleaning. My fear is rubbing the sensor with it. Amazon reviews were either very positive, or negative (the negatives came from people that had never used it, but were saying it couldn’t work). Does anyone here have experience with this product?