Classic Chrome w/ Capture One

JamesD172

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
James Dolezal
There have been more than a couple threads recently about trying to recreate fuji’s Classic Chrome style using only built-in JPEG processing engines (e.g. on the PEN-F). Unfortunately, the in-camera processing engines don’t allow for detailed color shifts or tone curves, so getting a close replica has proven difficult. Since I’m more of a RAW shooter anyway, I thought I’d have a go at replicating fuji’s classic look using Capture One. I’ll post my step-by-step instructions, some sample photos, and a copy of the *.costyle file I created so you can tinker with it on your own.

Overall, the goal is to increase contrast, decrease saturation, shift some color hues, and fine-tune the tonal (contrast) curve. In addition to using various test images, dpreview studio scenes served as guides. I used a Fuji classic chrome studio scene (Dissecting Classic Chrome: Fujifilm X System / SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review) and imported the E-M5 II studio scene RAW file for testing.

Classic Chrome.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Classic chrome overlayed on standard sRGB processing, to use as a guide

I started by lowering global contrast, since I’ll be using a custom Luma curve to fine-tune tonal gradations. The benefit of using Luma curve for contrast in this context is that it tends to desaturate the image.

cc_exposure.png

I then tinkered with the Luma curve to re-introduce contrast, monitoring the bottom row of grayscale tiles and the appearance of the thread in the studio test scene. The curve has deep shadows, bright mids, and largely unchanged highlights.

cc_luma.png

On to the individual colors. I modified color hue, saturation, and lightness using the C1 color editor. The greens didn’t need any color shift, but I did feel they needed some desaturation.

cc_greens.png

Light blues needed to be shifted more towards turquoise and little desaturation.

cc_lightblues.png

Darker blues needed a little less of a color shift towards the greens, with more desaturation.

cc_darkblues.png

Magentas, including maroon through blueish-purple, needed shift towards blue and desaturation.

cc_magentas.png

Reds needed a slight shift in the opposite direction (towards orange), a little bit more lightness, and no desaturation.

cc_reds.png

I didn’t modify yellows.

The end result, I think, looks pretty close:

E-M5 II default:
em5_ii_default.jpg

E-M5 II with “Classic Chrome”
em5_ii_cc.jpg

Fuji’s Classic Chrome:
fuji_cc.jpg

Sample pictures next post...

JamesD172

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
James Dolezal
E-M5 II default:
default1.jpg

E-M5 II with "Classic Chrome":
cc1.jpg

E-M5 II default:
default2.jpg

cc2.jpg

E-M5 II default:
default3.jpg

cc3.jpg

E-M5 II default:
default4.jpg

cc4.jpg

I'm open to feedback, criticisms, and suggestions! Here's the file, for anyone who wants to tinker.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not to be a kill joy, but trying to scroll up and down to compare between photos on my work laptop (so maybe not the best screen), I am hard pressed to determine any differences between the two "treatments" other than super subtle coloring that may or may not be my eyes and brain trying to convince me there is a difference. ???

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
I disagree — I like what I see. The problem I have with commercial film emulation Lightroom presets is that in my experience they tend to be far from subtle and result in something which looks artificial and ironically even more digital than the original. James's solution looks natural to me, and I like the way it affects the flesh tones and sky colour. It subtly gives the foreground figures more presence.

I should add that I wouldn't like to comment on how accurate an Ektachrome or Kodachrome emulation it is — I just like the way it looks! :)

edit - or Fujichrome, even! :doh:

Last edited:
Not to be a kill joy, but trying to scroll up and down to compare between photos on my work laptop (so maybe not the best screen), I am hard pressed to determine any differences between the two "treatments" other than super subtle coloring that may or may not be my eyes and brain trying to convince me there is a difference. ???
Right click on images, open in a new tab, then with Ctrl+Page Up/Down the differences are easy to spot.

Personnally, I'm not a big fan of the effect on skin tones, but that's very subjective.

decades

Mu-43 Regular
I think you're getting very close on the colour profiles. It would be good to see how it renders on a photo with heavy shadow. The really deep blacks make CC for me.

JamesD172

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
James Dolezal
I think the skin tones are nice, but it's certainly not a one-stop solution. Here's some photos with more prominent shadows. Any suggestions on the shadow component of the contrast curve?

Default:
P6170036.jpg

CC:
P6170036_1.jpg

Default:
P6250027.jpg

CC:
P6250027_1.jpg

Default:
P6250032.jpg

CC:
P6250032_1.jpg

Default:
P6250085.jpg

CC:
P6250085_1.jpg

magIBIS

Mu-43 Veteran
To me, this is a successful attempt!
I'm on a phone now (oled), so don't overrate my impression.
The default looks more fresh, the cc more moody - especially in pic 1 - as expected. The cc gives the focus plane more pop.
I like the skin tones on the face in pic 4 more with cc, as it moves the accuracy from documentary to moody.
The overall impression in the shots gets more a defined, wanted look, than a "unprocessed capture".
Being flooded by oversaturated and heavily filtered pictures this seems a nice, quality way for general purpose for the ones, that were conditioned at film days.

Thanks very much for sharing all your knowledge and processing skill - that's great about this forum!

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Completely unrelated to the work you've done, but you must live pretty close to where I am @JamesD172 if you got some shots of the demotion of the Penn Plaza apartments. Also, the shot in the restaurant, is that Bangkok Balcony up on Forbes in Squirrel Hill?

decades

Mu-43 Regular
This image here I think shows how you've nailed it.

Nice work man. Nice work.

p6250027_1-jpg.jpg

JamesD172

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
James Dolezal
Completely unrelated to the work you've done, but you must live pretty close to where I am @JamesD172 if you got some shots of the demotion of the Penn Plaza apartments. Also, the shot in the restaurant, is that Bangkok Balcony up on Forbes in Squirrel Hill?
It was! You recognized another nearby location in a photo I took a while back, IIRC. I live in Shadyside/Friendship (right by the Aldi on Baum), but I used to live in Squirrel Hill. Whereabouts are you? We should meet up sometime. If for no other reason than to see those voigts in person :D

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
It was! You recognized another nearby location in a photo I took a while back, IIRC. I live in Shadyside/Friendship (right by the Aldi on Baum), but I used to live in Squirrel Hill. Whereabouts are you? We should meet up sometime. If for no other reason than to see those voigts in person :D

Wow, you're like, two blocks from me. My wife and I live at the Ellsworth / South Negley Ave. intersection, and walk to Aldi and Market District every weekend for grocery shopping.

Yeah, we should get together some time. Are you heading down to see the Red Bull Flugtag tomorrow at all? The weather looks like it should be pretty decent.

JamesD172

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
James Dolezal
Wow, you're like, two blocks from me. My wife and I live at the Ellsworth / South Negley Ave. intersection, and walk to Aldi and Market District every weekend for grocery shopping.

Yeah, we should get together some time. Are you heading down to see the Red Bull Flugtag tomorrow at all? The weather looks like it should be pretty decent.
Haha wow, what a small world. My wife Cathy works at that Aldi, maybe you've seen her before :p

We're actually away this weekend visiting family, and sad to be missing the flugtag ("floptag" as I've heard some call it). You should post some pictures here.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom