Classic Chrome for Panasonic LX100 and GX7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Talanis, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Hi everyone,

I played with the Fuji X100T and X-T1 over the Holidays for my blog (thanks Fuji Canada for the loan) and I really love their new Classic Chrome film emulation. So I decided to make a camera profile for Lightroom / Camera Raw that emulates the emulation ;)

I did it for the Panasonic LX100 and GX7 and I'm working on a GH4 version.

I explain on my blog how I did it: http://www.mirrorlessjourney.com/blog/2015/1/classic-chrome-colors-for-the-panasonic-lx100
    It was a long process but it was fun. Here are some pictures processed with it. You can see more on my blog.

p547539323-5.

p575119386-5.

p909749610-5.

p726878472-5.

p639807948-5.

• Like Like x 30
  2. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    Wow, that's a lot of work. But worth it! Very nice.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Looks good Eric. I look forward to having a play with the LX100 profile.

• Like Like x 1
  4. khughes44

khughes44 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2014
    Langley BC
    Kevin Hughes
    Fabulous Eric. I'll be buying the GX7 profile. No PayPal?

5. darrellc

darrellc Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Eric, before I try and buy thought I'd ask if you tried the profile on your GH4 (you have one, right?)? I've got an X100T but I'd love to have a profile to mimic classic chrome on my GH4 (and I have a GM5 coming tomorrow). Thanks!

6. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I am working on a GH4 profile at the moment. I don't have a GM5 so I can't do one for it at the moment. Panasonic Canada is supposed to lend me one at some point this year though so I'll try to make one later.

7. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Can't wait for the GH4 profile, I'll be sure to buy a copy once it's released.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    LOVE THIS! Thanks. Traveling now, but will purchase and download when I get back home.

Wish there was a way to load this into camera. That'd be awesome -- a cam where you can make custom color profiles for jpg shooting.

Thanks!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    That would be great. You can do it a little bit with the Custom Profiles but there isn't much you can change in the colors.

10. palombasso

palombasso Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2014
    Hi,

The samples look awesome, probably gonna buy it when I get home. I tried my hand at some DNG profile editing enough to recognize the effort.

Could you maybe post a sample of the profile applied to a photo with a gradation of yellow/orange/pink/red? Something like a sunset would be great.

It's the one situation where I have a lot of trouble with my GX7. Adobe Standard, Huelight, all loses the subtle tonal changes and give a blotched look. I have a "hacked" E-M1 profile that give a somewhat better look in this case, bute strange results in others...

11. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I'm ashamed to say I don't have any "sunset" shots with my GX7 or LX100 but here are what is the closest to it.

p768802967-5.

p588971734-5.

p963550304-5.

12. Geemone

Geemone Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    Germany
    Sorry, if I do not really understand this, because I'm neither canadian nor american... but when people in our user communities here in Germany develop such profiles they'd never think of asking money for it from their fellow forum mates...
    So I'm naively asking: WHY? Do you need the money... ? :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  13. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Not sure what the big deal is. He put a lot of effort in it, and is not asking much. Most of us wouldn't mind making a little bit more money if possible. There are also several companies around that change for the same type of stuff. If you really don't want it, you could either try to follow his instructions and make one yourself, or see if you can find a free one somewhere.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Geemone

Geemone Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    Germany
    If I saw some precise instructions on his hp, I'd be happy to try it myself, but there is not much...

About the other thing. I am definetely willing to pay money for good products, so it's not about the few bucks... . But I just cannot understand, why a hobbyist has the need to make the "extra buck" for something like this. Or is this his profession? If so, then it is another story (even though then I couldn't accept advertising it in a forum thread).

Anyway..., pay for it if you like, I just won't... :wink:

15. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    Do you think there would be much difference using the GX7 profile on a GM1?

I have a GM1, this would be an instabuy for me- your samples look great!

16. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Why everything must be free and why the hate toward people trying to make a few bucks? In the last 5 years, I have shared a lot of information completely free online on my blog (http://blog.ericcote.net) and I'm trying to do the same on my new blog (http://mirrorlessjourney.com). I also helped a LOT of photographers in my province for free, most of the time. This year, I decided to take a break from wedding to spend more time with my family because my youngest son is starting school next year. I worked hard on some products and decided to sell them for a low price to make a few bucks to at least pay for the web hosting and if I can make a few dollars to compensate for the money I won't make doing wedding, why not? I won't get rich with that for sure. As for this post, I'm sorry but I don't see it as an advertisement. I think the look was cool and I put a link to the blog post about it. I the blog post, I explain exactly what I did to make the DNG camera profile. At the end of the blog post, there is a link toward the product but there isn't a sign saying CLICK HERE AND BUY THAT THING! Feel free to move along! :p

• Like Like x 5
  17. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I don't know :(

It depends on the sensor and the way the processor interprets the information. I know there is differences between the GH4 and GX7. I don't know if one would work with the GM1. I could try though if you want to send me a couple of raw (or dng) files from your GM1.

18. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Was just looking this up and found that the color profile and color rendering of the GM1 are very very similar to the GX7 so I bet it would work.

Very good stuff Talanis. Do you have a EM1 you can make one for. I could send you a few of my Raw files to try :)

19. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I have the E-PM2 which has the same sensor as the E-M5. My guess would be that the E-M1 should be really close to the E-M5. I will check that out and try. :)

20. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    As far as I'm personally concerned, $5 or so isn't too much to ask for a product that I'm interesting in and may find useful but don't have neither the time, the patience nor the skills to develop myself.

• Like Like x 3