Clarification on how Olympus OM-D IBIS works

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cjhawkins3rd, Aug 20, 2012.

1. cjhawkins3rd

cjhawkins3rd New to Mu-43

It is not clear to me on how I need to set up IBIS for a specific lens. If it is automatic do I need to set the focal length or is that handled by the camera. If it is a manual lens, I suspect I have to enter the focal length in the IBIS setup. Is this correct or not?
  2. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    You're right!

If the camera can detect the FL of the lens, then there's no need to set up the IBIS FL manually. This applies to native lenses & adapted 4/3 lenses (so long as you're using an adapter with electronic coupling).

Any other lens requires manual setup, and it makes a huge difference if you do. I've got a 200mm adapted zoom, and if I keep the default IBIS FL of 50mm the stabilization does more harm than good.

It's pretty easy to do - select IS in the SCP, then OK, then INFO, then use the rear control dial to scroll to the correct number.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Manual lenses (those without an electronic connection) need to be set manually in the IBIS setup. All native lenses with an electrical connection will do everything automatically. If you have one manual lens and it's set to, say, can just leave that set up permanently and it'll be right when using your manual 50mm and will also be right with all the native lenses.
    • Like Like x 1