City Reflected at Night

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Jman, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Columbus this evening. I had to rush because the clouds were receding, the sun was going down and the moon was rising. I dashed off to this vantage point after leaving work. Unfortunately, the most spectacular view of the clouds had passed about 5-7 minutes earlier, before I could get to a spot to take the shot...they were hovering over the city lit up from above when I first stepped out of my office. As it was, I only had time to slap my Leica 25/1.4 on and grab some shots handheld near wide open (I think these are both at f/1.6).

The thing is, I'm not sure which composition I like better. I like having the moon in the first shot, but the composition is more balanced in the second. I think I prefer the second, but want your opinions. Thoughts?

columbus_night_moon.

columbus_night_water.

• Like Like x 11
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I also prefer the second one, the composition of which, as you have already pointed out, appears better balanced. I might add that the moon and the reflections in the first shot were competing for attention...

Whenever I see the moon in the evening sky before it turns completely dark, I always get suckered into trying to capture a city skyline shot with the moon in it, but it never quite worked for me. IMHO, the visual perception of the moon and how it actually appears in picture is just too different, and it is also very difficult to get to a good location to get the composition right.

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I like the first better. Too much of the water in the second for my tastes.

4. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    #2... all the way

5. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I love the clouds and I agree with G1

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I like both

This is not a cop-out. I like the first because of the skyline - the moon and the clouds in particular. The tree line on the right gives it a different character than most city views. The second is a more pleasing composition in terms of framing, although I do agree that there is more water in the foreground than I care for. So, I like them both. :smile:

7. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    I like the balance of the composition in #2 but the slightly darker/warmer tone of #1. The composition beats the tone but it is close.

8. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    #1 for me :thumbup:

d in w

9. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I like the lineup of the moon and what looks like a star (aircraft light?) and a curved cloud or vapour trail, looks like a lead in to a Christmas story.......just lacking the 3 wise men on donkeys!

Seriously though, I prefer those sky elements from the first but the overall composition of the building in the second either way theyr are both great shots.

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'd copy the moon in PS and paste it into the second photo. :)

11. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I had actually done that, but just a modification of the first...and I think it's the best of both...

columbus_night_moon2.

• Like Like x 2