City of the Arts At Night

For a few months a year, two very shallow pools of water are filled at the southern end of the City of Arts in Valencia Spain. When the wind is soft, and the sun sets in the North West, shots like these are possible. It is still warm enough at dusk to be out without a jacket or fear of hands getting cold. The sun sets at 18:00 and the blue hour lasts until about 19:30.

Most of these are taken with the EM1.2 and the Samyang 7.5mm f3.5 UMC, some with the Olympus 12-40, on a tripod either in High Resolution mode or Live Composition. The Samyang can't take filters, so I use the high res and live composition modes to smooth out the water and enhance the reflection. I often think about getting the Olympus 7-14, Laowa 7.5mm f2, or another super wide, but this cheap little Samyang fisheye constantly amazes me with its color, rendition, and sharpness. Maybe mine is a little soft on the left edge but I don't care that much.
_SBA0478.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_SBA0476.jpg
_SBA0475.jpg
_SBA0474.jpg
_SBA0468.jpg
_SBA0402_01.jpg
_SBA0396_01.jpg
_SBA0380_02.jpg
PA280429.jpg

View attachment 857582
PA280430.jpg
_SBA0368.jpg
_SBA0473.jpg
_SBA0397_02_02.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is amazing architecture, great job capturing it.
Thanks Harvey and Richard. I am almost getting what I want from this spot. Light, humidity, wind, angle are almost there. Tonight I discovered that high res is better than live comp for long exposures when you want to blur water and preserve detail in the highlights. Live comp blows the highlights on long exposures. Will go back to this spot a few more times to get the shots I want and hope to print one for my living room at some point.

Panolyman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Brian
When I read "two very shallow pools of water"
I expected something a few feet across with lots of people gathered around trying to get reflection shots.
How wrong I was!

Top shots again Steve....and so inspiring.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Fantastic shots! Really well executed.

I agree about the little Samyang - it's excellent optically. I replaced mine with the Oly 8mm f1.8, but really there's nothing to chose between them in terms of IQ, but the Oly has the advantage of f1.8 and AF.

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
Very cool shots - especially 4,5 and 8. 9 is also super nice and would have been my favorite, but somehow the curving horisontal to the left (probably the fisheye) triggers something in my head that I keep going back to that part, maybe a slight tilt to the right would fix that, but hey great set and love determination in getting all the circumstances just right and then nailing the shots.

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
Amazing series @SteveAdler. Funny-I'd seen the night image on the forum splash page. Was watching MotoGP at the Valencia circuit and recognized the structure, even though I hadn't been through the series yet.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom