1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Circular Polarizing Filter for Oly 12-40mm F2.8

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by verbatimium, Jul 24, 2014.

1. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    I am looking to invest in a CPL filter for the 12-40mm Pro lens (and step up rings for other lenses that I have). I was wondering how often people use polarizers with the 12-40mm Pro lens and whether they have any suggestions on which polarizer to get. Currently, I am looking at the Marumi 62mm CPL Super DHG MC filter as I have heard some good things about this filter. Anyone have any experience with it? If you do have one, is it easy to clean (I have run across some high quality filters that are such a pain to clean).

Also, I currently have a clear UV filter on the lens, would I use this polarizer on top of the UV filter or do people typically take off their UV filter and put the polarizer on. Will having both a UV filter and a Polarizer on cause vignetting at the 12mm end?

2. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

I bought the Marumi DHG MC CPL 62mm Slim Filter. I think it's a really good filter especially for the $30 I paid. I haven't used it much yet, but it's not harder to clean than any other filter I have. It also doesn't hit the front element like some filters can on the 12-40. I generally just use the polarizer by itself. I don't like having extra pieces of glass in front unless absolutely necessary.

-Eli

3. verbatimium

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Thanks for the feedback. Is there a specific reason as to why you are not using the filter much? Also, do you happen to know the difference between the Super vs non-Super one? Seems like the price difference is around 2x or the super one.

4. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

I just got the filter about a month ago and used it only a couple times on vacation. I just haven't had the need to use it much yet. Not sure what the exact difference is, but the Marumi site should have some info. I bought it because of this review http://www.lenstip.com/115.23-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Marumi_DHG_Circular_P.L.D_72_mm.html. They tested a huge amount of filters and this one came in 4th. The super came in 1st, but I figured it wasn't worth the double cost difference for my purposes.

5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    On mirrorless cameras you can use linear polarizers as well.

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've always used B&W MRC linear polarisers, high quality and easy to keep clean.

7. verbatimium

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Thanks. Linear polarizers with multicoating are very difficult to come by, and I fcannot find any information about the BW MRC linear polarizer.

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    That's interesting. I checked the store where I used to buy all my B&W filters and they don't list the linear ones anymore. I wonder if the linear polarisers have been dropped, because so many DSLRs can't focus when using linear polarisers.

9. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Linear polarizers essentially disappeared over the past 20 years as nearly all the AF systems required c-pol and nobody ever bought linear polarizers. Kind of like trying to find 5 1/4 floppy disks today, nobody makes them because consumer demand disappeared.

Disregard the above text, see followup post later in the thread.

B+W is a good choice for filters. XS-Pro nano is a step above the MRC version, supposedly helps keep the filter clean.

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Linear polarisers are still better than circular ones, I'll keep mine. You still can get linear polarisers, but it appears B&W has stopped producing them.

11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I've had that filter for sometime. It is very easy to clean and nearly as nice as the B&W filter, just a lot less in cost. The threads are just not quite as nice as B&Ws, but for the cost it made sense to get the Marumi Super. I normally do not use it with another filter in place but the thin profile is a benefit in this regard.

12. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Whoops, apparently I was wrong in my post above and there are a bunch of linear polarizers available according to bhphoto.com (link)

As I realign my outfit for my new E-M10 I'll definitely be looking at picking up linear versions.

13. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
  14. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I have a XS-Pro UV filter for the 12-40. Its one of the best filters I've ever used; repels dust, can't make it flare or ghost... The polarizer should be just as nice!

15. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013