1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Circular Polarizers on m4/3

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Chuckr53, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Chuckr53

Chuckr53 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2010
    Estero, FL
    Is it just me, or is anyone else having difficulty using their CP with the electronic viewfinders/LCD? While I was using a 4/3 body with optical vf, I had no difficulty at all. So I know they work on digital cameras. But with the electronic viewfinder or the lcd, the effect is so visibly subtle I can barely discern when the CP is cutting the glare. I used to tell on optical vf, by a distinct darkening of the blue sky. But I cannot see that through the electronic vf. Anyone have some helpful advice?

Thanks

2. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    I have not seen that issue on my G1 at all. I use a polarizer occasionally on all lenses except of course the 7—14mm.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Agreed it's tough to tell through the VF-2 the differences in poloarization in comparison with my SLR & my DSLR...

4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I've noticed too that the polarizer seems to do less in an electronic VF. My guess is that an optical viewfinder darkens and brightens the various parts of the image while rotating the polarizer whereas an electronic viewfinder compensates the average loss of brightness as a whole so you only see differences between the various parts of the image. It took me some getting used to, but now it's not an issue anymore.