Circular Polarizer and step up/down ring question.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by johnny9fingers, Aug 17, 2011.

1. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

Oh happy day, B&H shipped my Silver E-P3 w/17mm lens today...:biggrin:
    Now I want to get a circular polarizer but have this problem. My 17mm lens has a 37mm filter ring, and the two lenses I want to get next, 12mmf2 is 46mm and the 40-150mm is 58mm. Is the best solution to get a 46mm filter and a 46mm-58mm step up ring then a 46mm-37mm step down ring???? I would rather not buy 3 filters......

2. brnmatsumoto

brnmatsumoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    My rule of thumb is get the filter for the largest diameter lens. Then get the appropriate filter adapters for the lens that accept the smaller diameter filters. I just bought a variable neutral density filter and found that Fotdiox sells a set of 7 filter adapters of variable size for about $14.

Brian Matsumoto

3. wirehead

wirehead Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 15, 2011
    If you use a step-down (you got the direction wrong, BTW -- a 42 to 58 step-up adapter would mount a 58mm filter on a 42mm lens thread) adapter, you'll probably get dark corners from mechanical vignetting. Unless you know exactly what you are doing.

The 'standard' maximum size for filters is 77mm. You will have to look fairly hard to find a lens for a modern camera you would be able to afford that's got a bigger ring than 77mm. So if you want to buy one awesome polarizer and never ever ever ever need to buy another one till you drop it, you can get a set of 77mm filters. Or, alternatively, get a Cokin P-sized filter mount and some non-Cokin filters to put in it.

OTOH, a 37mm-to-77mm adapter would require a chain of adapters and look pretty damn silly. Looking at the adapters, you might as well get a 58mm filter and the requisite step-up rings and then consider getting a 77mm adapter if you'd want.

4. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

Isn't the largest filter size for M.Zuiko :43: lenses 58mm? Then I would only need two step down rings, and that shouldn't be too bad.