Cider

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by angloasturian, Jun 5, 2010.

1. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

There was a little gathering in a picnic area just behind the dunes in Salinas. Apparently it was to receive a march organized for the World Ecology Day, which is today. I took advantage of this to shoot photos of two typical Asturian features - cider and bagpipes. Bagpipe music and bands are one of the oldest traditions and date as far back as the Middle Ages. Cider is the typical drink here - but with a difference. It's still cider (no bubbles) so to drink it you have to pour it in a special way (see photos) making the stream of liquid hit the lip of the glass to make it foam. The glass is then passed to the drinker who must drink it in one or two gulps, leaving a small amount in the bottom. You swirl this round to 'clean' the glass and throw it away - usually into a wooden bucket if you're in a 'chigre' (cider bar). The glass is then refilled and given to somebody else (so not for the squeamish).

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

You've whetted my appetite for both this cider and the food to go along with it! I would however, probably not be able to down the whole drink quite in the traditional way.:wink:

• Like Like x 2
  3. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

Perhaps I should have explained that the amount of cider poured into the glass is about an inch at the most - so one or two swallows should be enough. I also wanted to mention that the omlettes (the round ones) are what are called (in Spanish) 'Spanish Omlettes'. These are the classic potato omlettes (potato, onion [optional] and egg) which are are a staple of Spanish cuisine - not to be confused with 'Spanish Omlettes' on a a UK menu (I don't know about the rest of the UE and USA) which are French omlettes filled with vegetables (peas, carrots, onions, peppers etc..). The 'Empanadas' or pastry 'pies' (rectangular) are usually filled with meat or tuna and are absolutely delicious. Some of the other 'Pinchos' (the word 'tapa' has become, I believe, very well known, and refers to the small food aperative given with a drink - originally something that in the south was put on top of the glass to prevent the flies getting in. 'Tapa' is 'lid'). 'Pincho' is more substantial and two could make a meal. In my thread you can see 'bollos' (rolls) with breaded chicken and pork.