Chrome vs Black oly 14-42mm kit zoom for E-P1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by simonz, Jul 25, 2010.

1. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    Two weeks ago I got my E-P1 with the Oly 17mm pancake in chrome. I am very happy with the images.

Now I am looking at the 14-42 kit zoom. The chrome version would look nice on my chrome E-P1. I thought I read somewhere there were some changes made to the newer kit zooms. Are the chrome kit zooms identical to the black ones?
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

They are apparently a little lighter - as in weight, but that's it. I have used both and didn't detect a difference.
  3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    The zooms for the e-p1 and e-p2 are both metal mount (the chrome version will have an entirely chrome look, the black version still has a metal/chrome base, about a 5mm ring at the base of the lens, next to the mount is metal construction). The current kit lens shipping with the e-pl1 is all black, including the mount base which is no longer metal, but plastic. So yes, there are different versions, earlier ones with the metal mount and the current e-pl1 plastic mount! Other than the mount, they are identical.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Right, thanks - I'd forgotten about the metal vs plastic. Just adding another note, when I got my E-PL1, having sold the body of my E-P2, I sold the original 14-42 lens and kept the new one.