1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Chromatic Aberration Correction Software

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by clockwise, Dec 4, 2012.

1. clockwise

clockwise Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    New York, NY
    Brian R
    Hi all,

I'm having some issues ridding certain high-contrast images of purple fringing. The issue is particularly egregious on my OM-D/PL25 combo when shooting at night. Light sources tend to be surrounded by significant fringing. (The lens causes occasional ghosting when shooting wide open at night as well, but that's a different problem with a different solution.)

Of course, I try to work within the lens' limitations by stopping down and avoiding high-contrast areas, but sometimes this is unavoidable or undesirable.

Does anybody have any software suggestions for removing CA? I process my images in ACR 6 and CS 5, and neither application seems to have a tool powerful enough to solve the problem entirely.

Thanks in advance.

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Lightroom is doing a good job at removing CA in a simple way.
    You just need to check a check mark in a photo that needs CA removal.

• Like Like x 1
  3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Lightroom 4/ACR7 apparently has improved tools for lateral CA removal and for defringing. I say "apparently" because I use LR4 but haven't used any of the earlier versions so I can't compare.

As Elavon said, lateral CA removal is automatic, just click a tick box to get it. Defringing isn't quite as automatic as that but there is an eyedropper tool you use to identify the fringing in the image then click and an automatic defringing process is performed. You can adjust the colour range for the action then if you wish or need to fine tune it a little. Both seem to work extremely well for me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. clockwise

clockwise Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    New York, NY
    Brian R
    Thanks Elavon and David, it sounds like LR 4 will do the trick, and I've heard great things about ACR 7. I'm just a bit hesitant to plunk down the cash for LR 4 when I know I won't otherwise use the file management or image editing functions.

Any CS 5-compatible plug-ins, perhaps? I know a bunch of free ones are floating around out there in the ether, but have no idea which are good and which are crappy/spyware/phishing scams/bubonic plague 2.0.

5. Marc0

Marc0 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2012
    Italy
    Marco
    Hi, I have the same problem of chromatic aberration on some images taken with the omd and the 8mm fisheye but LR 4 fix the problem very well.