1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Christmas Deals on Olympus OMD?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by suzyq2463, Nov 4, 2012.

1. suzyq2463

suzyq2463 New to Mu-43

Nov 4, 2012
    Abilene, TX
    Susan
    Hi all,

I'm brand new here. I just bought an Olympus OM-D with the kit lens (12-50mm) from Amazon ($1299 + tax) and I'm having a little buyer's remorse due to the fact that Black Friday is just around the corner and so are Christmas deals.

How likely do you think it is that the Oly OM-D system will be significantly discounted for Christmas? Or do you think there will be some cool kit deals that will be offered? Someone asked a similar question specifically about lenses and Christmas discounts in the lens forum.

I'm wondering if it would be wise to return the system and await potential discounts. My concern is that, if I do this, the Oly OM-D might sell out pretty quickly and I might wind up without a system at all. And, of course, there may be no deals at all.

Amazon used to honor prices if a discount occurred within 30 days after purchase, but I don't think they do that anymore.

So, any sage advice? Should I hope for future lower prices and return the system or just be happy that I have an Om-D?

Thanks,

Susan

2. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    as a new OMD owner myself, the learning curve is a monster.

so i would enjoy it, learn it before the holidays, and take some kick ass pictures during Festivus.

and if you sent it back now, how can you ever learn it in time..

just my 2 cents.

3. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Last year I do not recall any substantial holiday deals from Olympus or Olympus dealers on it's newer model cameras. Maybe $50 off or something trivial like that. I do recall major ($200+) discounts from Amazon on Panasonic camcorders on Black Friday and between Thanksgiving and Xmas. Not sure if there were deals on Panny m4/3 cameras tho.

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I just got a partial refund on my recent PL25 purchase when Amazon dropped the price within 30 days of my purchase. It was super easy through their online support.

Not sure about Christmas rebates or discounts, but I would have to think that if there turn out to be holiday promotions, they would be fairly modest. The OM-D is still pretty new and seems to still be selling well.

5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The Olympus Rep I spoke with at the Dodd Camera Tent Sale said that the US Christmas discount would just be the same $50 off sale they were offering during that event because E-M5 sales were still at nearly their full production capacity.

6. suzyq2463

suzyq2463 New to Mu-43

Nov 4, 2012
    Abilene, TX
    Susan
    Thanks

Thanks you guys. It sounds like, if there is any discount, it will be small, so I can abandon my buyer's remorse and be joyful when the OM-D arrives. Then I'll have to figure it out, but that's a whole other thread.

7. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    I am in the same boat and was/am also hoping for some sort of deals. The killer deal would be the free grip that some British users got for pre-ordering the OM-D.

8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The free grip was mostly a fallacy, if you worked out conversion to US dollars, the grip wasn't free at all. You old buy in us and a grip and cost less than the free deal in UK. Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.

9. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    I am not quite understanding what you are saying. Did the pre-order users end up paying more than retail price in the UK after the camera started shipping?

I know cameras in the UK can be 20% or so more that in the states. I assume that a result of the VAT and longer warranty requirements.

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Don't worry, you'll feel much worse when the price violently craters six months from now. Check out the resale values on the E-P3 kit that retailed at 900 in august 2011 and is worth about 400 now.

• Like Like x 1
  11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl: Don't remind me.

I do think there is one difference that may mean a slightly smaller resale hit on the E-M5 when the next version comes out: most likely the next couple versions of the PENs and OM-Ds will use the same sensor. At least, that is what I am hoping! :biggrin:

12. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    Cameta is selling OMD refurbs for $850 and used models are selling in that range or possibly a little less.

Camera body prices always drop a bit after a few months and drop like a stone after a new model release.

Just buy it, use it, enjoy it and don't worry about depreciation. It will just make you crazy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Could he just have buyers remorse during The Airing of Grievances time?

14. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    He could work off the stress during the Feats of Strength...

15. suzyq2463

suzyq2463 New to Mu-43

Nov 4, 2012
    Abilene, TX
    Susan
    Don't I know it! I'll have buyer's remorse one way or another. I buy Apple products, so I know...I know.

16. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    So far the OM-D E-M5 has been price drop resistant here in the U.S. It was released in like February, and nine months later it's pretty much the same price. Are you really going to feel that bad if you like your OM-D? What if you really like it? If a E-P5 or E-M6 or something comes out, will you really feel that bad that you didn't get the "newest"?

17. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The cost in British Pounds of the EM5 with the free grip converted to dollars was higher than the cost of the camera and grip in the US.

Fred

18. Jodie_harsh

Jodie_harsh Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2012
    London
    In the UK SRS have a good deal. 1149 for standard kit with 12-50 lens + 32gb sd card + 15mm f8 lens (plus the olympus deal giving a free 45mm f1.8 lens)