1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Christmas 2011 Video with GH2 and 20mm

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by sprinke, Jan 1, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Hi folks, this is my first attempt at creating a video. I took all of the footage using my GH2 and the 20mm f/1.7 lens. I had other lenses with me but the 20 seemed to work the best for my situation. I edited using iMovie 11. It is eight minutes long.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKIM4dGhqI0]Christmas 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

I'm probably going to take this down from YouTube eventually.

Enjoy :wink:

• Like Like x 3
  2. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Love the 20mm! :) I used iMovie 11 too but my video output was incredibly soft compared to your video. My raw MTS files are nice and sharp thouugh. Maybe the GH2 just has that much better video quality than the GF2? You did a great job capturing the holiday spirit.

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    nice work!!!

K

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    What format did you choose in iMovie ... were you working in HD? I shot the footage using the new High Bit Rate in the GH2 so it was 1080p at 30 fps. My iMovie project is a widescreen HD 30fps project and I exported the HD 720p option.

5. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I recorded at FSH 1080 and imported iMovie at full size, not the 960x540 iMovie asks.

6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    FSH is interlaced footage; that may be part of the issue. I was shooting progressive.

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Very nice video. How did you stabilize the footage? Did you use S-AF or MF?

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Very nice! Did the airport authorities give you any issues? Last time I was in an airport they were not allowing anybody to have a camera out.

9. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    So my GF2 records in 720p and 1080i, FS & FSH (same bitrates in both resolutions). I should be recording in 720p FSH for better image quality rather than interlaced resolution?

10. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    It sounds like that is the best for your camera. Why don't you give it a try? What lens are you using?

11. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I used a mixture of different things because I was learning as I went along. For the handheld and moving shots I was using AFS. Then later, I mostly used a tripod. I found that it was useful for me to focus first using AFS and then switch to manual so the focus didn't change (the 20mm has an annoying tendency to focus hunt).

12. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Nope, no one in either airport said anything to me. Of course, I was not using the camera anywhere near any TSA officials.

13. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Thanks, I will try it next time! :D I'm new with the camera and totally new with it's video capabilities. I look forward to your next production!