'Chris Gampat's E-PM2 Review'

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RT_Panther, Mar 3, 2013.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
  2. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    thanks. So he said
    Pro : image quality
    Con: image quality

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    It's a neat review. He really analyzes the iQ and comes off very positive. The "not as good IQ as competitors" is a bit weird since he never states who the competitors are. The G5 maybe? The body is a similar price to the E-PM2 although it's a totally different camera. I don't think the GX1 has better IQ, and there aren't many DSLRs in the sub $500 price range. I've always thought the E-PM2 is the most amazing bargain, IQ wise, in the mu43 world.
  4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Toward the end of the review, he mentions the IQ is not as good as APS-C, which IMNSHO is an apple to oranges comparison. Also, when he says advanced users should stay away from the EPM2, I think he should have said "as an only body" or similar. I'm really happy with my EPM2 as a second, small body I can carry everywhere. I prefer the EM5 for its ergonomics as my primary body.

Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!
    • Like Like x 2
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, I guess each to his own, but I didn't think this was a very good review. Too many contradictions and above all, an attempt to pigeon-hole the camera into the 'noob' market. This clearly isn't the case - noobs will likely go for a P&S or an iPhone. The most likely users of the E-PM2 will be more dedicated types who see it as a small and high quality second camera. I also disagree with all this 'complicated menu' stuff. People aren't idiots and the Oly menu system isn't that difficult.

Anyhow, don't want to flame the review's author and of course others may like it - but this is just my view!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    What's odd is that his reported experience with the camera is pretty good and he likes the iQ. His comparison comments with APS-C seem almost pro forma.
  7. Biggstr

Biggstr Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Ashburn, VA
    I disagree with the description of the PM1 or the PM2 as cameras for soccer moms. I'm serious about photography, and I'm serious about the PM1/2s. I have 50 years of experience in Nikon systems including professional camera bodies and professional medium format systems. I dumped them all 18 months ago over size, weight, and serious back focus issues with the Nikon camera bodies. I started with the P2 and PL3. Bought a couple of PM1s as backup camera bodies. Recently picked up a PM2. I thought the lack of dials would be a problem. Not at all. I use the SCP for 99% of all setting changes regardless of which PEN body I'm using. Love the cross platform compatibility in the menus. I find myself using the PM1/2s more than the other camera bodies. The IQ is the same for the camera bodies in the 12 MP series; same for the 16 MP series. But size does matter. In this PM1/2 wins hands down.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    All I am going to say is: He is no Ming Thein :drinks:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    ...Or Robin Wong!

The premise that only soccer moms would use a small, control minimized mirrorless cam is ridiculous. My PM2 replaced my DSLR and is refreshingly simple and can do everything the bigger ones can, minus the weatherproofing and obvious handling benefits.

In the old days, there was shutter speed and aperture....and the film you chose and the lens in front of it. The rest was up to the person.