Choosing M43 for all the wrong reasons

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by NCV, Dec 1, 2017.

1. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Italy
    Nigel
    Reading a rather earnest thread on DPR about choosing cameras, I believe that it is worth having a conversation with those of us who have chosen M43 for all the "wrong" reasons.

It seems from reading the the thread that there are all sorts of complicated reasons and even theorems and boring maths reasons for choosing a system or camera that one must use and obey. But my reason is far simpler.

My reason is that I like skiving off work. It a habit I picked up at school.

I chose M43 because I can carry a camera and a couple of lenses and it fits into my smart leather briefcase when I am out and about for work and want to skive off for a couple of hours to do some photography. I plan my work appointments with great care to make sure I get the right light for my photography.

My LX100 is even better it slips into my coat pocket, which makes it the perfect skivers camera.

When I want to do a dedicated photo expedition on those days when I really do not feel like working at all, I have a have small Billingham bag or a rucksack with lenses that range from a fisheye to 300mm if I feel like carrying them all.

Here are some pictures I took when I should have been working recently. With cunning I placed the appointments nice light.

Anybody else get into M43 for the "wrong" reasons? Let's hear them.

PS I’m the boss so nobody can fire me!

(PS turn on the humour filter)

P4480528_DxO.JPG
    Nice view terrace, Dosolo River, Italy Perfect place for skivers like me.

P4480401_DxO.JPG
    Lenin Cavriago Reggio Emilia Italy

P4470767_DxO-1.JPG
    Canossa Reggio Emilia

• Like Like x 22
    • Winner Winner x 12
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    This is your boss speaking...

You’re fired.

• Funny Funny x 9
  3. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    The third pic has very nice lighting.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Orbmiser

Orbmiser Mu-43 Regular

Nov 15, 2017
    Portland,Or.
    Liking that last one!

Yep I entered into miroless m4/3rds from Nikon Dx for all the wrong reasons.
    Or that is what others tell me anyways! :biggrin:

And my 1st hour walking back from my used Em-1 buy.
    Not knowing anything about using it yet.

24399350748_af66132005_c.
    Leaves Focus Test 1 of 2
    by Orbmiser, on Flickr

24399362918_769969568c_c.
    Light Among the Vine Leaves
    by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Yep all the wrong reason smaller,lighter.
    Don't draw as much attention to myself pulling it out of the bag.
    Saving my Shoulder,Back & Wrist on this old frame!
    Features and Functions that Dslr users can just dream about.
    Yep really wrong reasons.

• Like Like x 11
  5. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Also a former Nikon APS-C shooter here. Waited for a while and no D400 showed up. I was about to go the second hand D700/D3 route, but then after significant patience I found out about the E-M5 and all that it could do. Now I'm a happy E-M1II owner with a system that does more of what I want than I could get from Nikon.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    That is excellent planning.
    Being Italian/in Italy/-insert alternative- I'm sure you look very good with your briefcase, provided you have chosen the correct Alfa Spyder/-insert stylish car-

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I gave up on a semi-pro Canon 7D system for a toy-like EM5 and have been enjoying photography a whole lot more ever since!

8. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Italy
    Nigel
    P8140455_DxO.
    Not a Spyder. but close. -Having some fun in the Apennines.

• Like Like x 9
    • Sad Sad x 1
  9. Ben Bonin

Ben Bonin Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2017
    I have similar frivolous rationale for my (seemingly, by DPR standards) poor system choices. I travel quite a bit for my job, and need a system that packs easily but still takes great photos. Around this time last year I was in Tanzania, and was able to peel away from work for a couple days for a safari. I captured the image below with my EM10II and 40-150 f4.0-5.6. I might not have been packing a camera if my only option was FF or APSC at equivalent focal length. Or else this would have been a heavily pixelated crop from a cell phone or compact.

D0EB89C6-C2D9-415D-8B02-39F17353432C.

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 5
  10. CD77

CD77 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2017
    Burnley, UK
    Chris
    I think I come from the other end of the spectrum, moving up from a compact/phone.

Always enjoyed photography (had a Canon AE-1 as a teenager), I wanted more from my photographs, but didn't want a big DSLR as I knew I just wouldn't use it as often as I'd want to because it would be too big to just pick up on my way out of the door when I went out. I ended up getting a second hand e-pl3 to try to see if I stuck with it.

Now it goes with me practically everywhere, and is always in my bag for work... and I sneak out as well if I see something interesting out of the window (like the amazing sunset today took just up the road from the office).

IMG_1016.JPG

• Like Like x 10
  11. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    Yep, we could definitely be partners. I have the same photo plan in my travels. With a DSLR bag, everybody would ask where I'm going with such a big backpack. I have a little E-PM2 kit that's perfect for walking around inconspicuously. Nobody knows! I limit myself to small lenses and it works out fine.
    grillers. gap1. parliament. wheel. P1020210.

• Like Like x 15
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I definitely got into M4/3 for the wrong reason.

I bought an Open Box GX1 because I thought that the 15mm/f8 body cap was the coolest thing, and so I could have my little ILC body that could actually fit into my jeans pocket. How cool!

Turns out that the 15mm/f8 is a terrible lens, my Nokia N8 smartphone gave me better images in basically every way, and so I sold the bodycap after only a few times using it. But I really liked the GX1 body...way better ergonomics and user interface than any of the competitors at the time in its price range (Oly E-PM2, Sony NEX-3N and Samsung NX210).

Add cheap second-hand copies of the 14-140mm and 20mm/1.7, a whole mess of cheap-o adapted film lenses, and a cheap update to a GX7 somewhere along the line, and I've ended up with a fun little system that I can't seem to beat.

No matter how hard I try, every time I convince myself to get a Sony A7 II, or A6300, or X-T2, I find disadvantages and compromises compared to my modest M4/3 system that I just can't reconcile if I'm going to spending way over $1000+ CDN even for a used body only...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Italy
    Nigel

I started out in M43 with a GF3 I bought for work use. I just found it so much more fun than my D300.

It got swapped for a GX1, a super little camera that I have taken some of my favourite pictures with.

These M43 cameras are just so much nicer to take out and use compared to a DSLR or FF kit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I picked up the EM-5 when it first came out because I'd just been travelling around Patagonia and Antarctica with a pair of 5D mark II's, a 24-105, 100-400, and an adapted Contax/Zeiss 50/1.4. Plus tripod. And that was RIDICULOUSLY HEAVY. Then read about the E-M5, bought it essentially on a whim, and found I never took my Canon out to play any more. So I sold it all off, and dived in. Good balance between IQ and image size, though I did miss the smoother files, resolution and particularly the look of a fast wideangle (fast 35) on FF.

Right now, I actually use my A7R (and just got the mark III!) more, for short glass, but the E-M1 (the E-M5 was burgled from my home, along with the 12-35/2.8 and 100-300, Insurance covered most of the upgrade cost) with the 50-200 and 150/2.0 is still amazing, and very, very hard to beat in the bang for the buck department. I'm down to about 2/3 to half the travel weight now, for equivalent reach, with ultra high resolution FF for wide to normal, and m43 for telephoto.

Is that the wrong or the right reason?

15328428781_f7a1206cf5_z. rainbows by Mattia Valente, on Flickr

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Wow Wow x 1
  15. CD77

CD77 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2017
    Burnley, UK
    Chris
    Great pic!

• Like Like x 1
  16. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I was buying my first "serious" digital camera in 2012, having been a 35mm film SLR user for about 30 years. I didn't have a huge budget, so was looking at entry level Canikon DSLRs. Then I came across the Pana G3 which seemed to have a load of features that I'd have to go "up a level" to get in a DSLR, and with very similar IQ. It appealed to me as well, just by being a bit "left of centre". So that started me off. But now a few years on, I've spent so much money on lenses that the idea of switching systems is unthinkable. And I am very happy with what I have, the prime limitation on my photography being me.

Not sure if that's the "wrong" reason. I think generally we all make choices for no particularly strong logic, even though we like to think we do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. DWS

DWS Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2014
    If it works for me that's all that matters, and I take the saying “Sometimes, the first step toward forgiveness is realizing the other person was born an idiot“ literally.

18. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yup, we were drawn to m4/3's for all of the wrong reasons. The PENs and GX1 really appealed and I love carrying a camera with me always in my messenger bag. Our gear has grown but my wife still prefers the size of her E-M10 III and small lenses and I still carry my E-M5 II with me most days.

I also like the OP's last picture.

19. JDS

JDS Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    I first fell in love with Olympus OMD’s as an Industrial Designer, as it’s the rebirth of the OM-1 that I had as a teenager. I still think the OM-1 is one of the greatest examples of ID ever. I got into M43 with a GF3 from work, was surprised that it was so good. Then was thrilled when I discovered it was part of a system with the Olympus cameras. I go against all the photography wisdom: the camera doesn’t matter (for me, it massively matters), care about capabilities not brand (nope, I’m an Olympus fanboy and to a lesser extent Panasonic as well), care about image quality, not camera aesthetics (not a chance, and I will have a Pen F someday...), shoot raw to get the best possible image in post (not gonna happen, for me photography is an active verb). I could care less about ultimate image quality or noise, I just want to capture moments with as much craft and beauty as I can.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Love the OM-1, we still have one with three lenses. That was part of the reason why we became part of the m4/3's community.