Choosing first Micro 4/3 camera !

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by justa1972, Jun 30, 2013.

1. justa1972

justa1972 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 29, 2013

First post on here so go easy !

I've very recently sold all my Nikon gear, not because I wasn't happy with it (D5100 & 16-85 + 35mm) it was excellent but I got sick of carrying it all around - I don't really know how I came to end up with such a heavy kit as I'm an incredibly lazy photographer that hates carrying things !

So I find myself here...

I started looking at the G5 and then the G6 but then got sidetracked by the Olympus OMD EM5 and Fuji XE1 (which I've discounted due to the expensive lenses)

Too afford the OMD I would have to go for a grey import (I'm from the UK) which can be got for around £700, the G5 is cheapest at £429 including a free 45-150 and the G6 can be had for about £550...

I'm not sure I can justify the extra expense of the G6 but really like a couple pf features such as panoramic mode, wi-fi etc

Too be honest I'm more than a bit confused now so I thought I'd join up here and do some research and hopefully get some advice !

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Might want to start off with the cheap Lumix GX1 and spend your change on good glass :smile:

Others will chime in though...
  3. justa1972

justa1972 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 29, 2013
    thanks mate - should have added a viewfinder is essential to me..
  4. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    GX1 ... and a viewfinder? :tongue:

Just kidding man, although that is a very legit first choice (I'm a big fan of mine). My "first m4/3" recommendation these days is the G5 due to amazing price/performance, but based on what you say you want just a tad more in the features category. The big question is, do you really want those things or did you see them and subsequently "want" them? I ask because I'm the same way, and I've had to train myself to really identify my needs versus "well it's out there, so I want/need it" which is quite a slippery slope as they introduce new "must-have" features every year that nobody used to have and was never a big deal until now.

I would add, finally, that I've heard of enough need for warranty service with the OM-D that a grey market (typically sans warranty) model may not be the way to go. But actual OM-D owners should chime in with more real opinions about that.
  5. justa1972

justa1972 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 29, 2013
    Thanks - sound advice there..

I do take panoramic photos and stitch them after - which is a bit of a pain and time consuming...

The wifi isn't a deal breaker I suppose !

The OMD would have warranty provided by the shop but I agree it's a risk...
  6. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    I thought Olympus' warranty was global?
    My vote is the G5.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I'd get the G5. In fact, I did. Only you can determine if the additional features of the G6 are worth the large premium currently seen in the market, considering that the actual imaging systems of the two cameras are essentially identical. To me, I could see paying maybe $150 more for the G6 incremental features, but not the ~$300 premium currently being asked.
  8. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    The G5 is probably the best all around deal right now, especially if you csn gey the kit that includes the 45-150.