1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Choosing filters and step up rings?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by eyeguy, May 19, 2011.

1. eyeguy

eyeguy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    So I've finally accumulated a nice little collection of lenses.

I was wondering what you guys do regarding choosing a filter size. Anyone here just buy separate filters for each lens?

If not, how do you choose which filter size to go with? I my filter sizes are 37mm, 46mm, 49mm, 55mm, 58mm. And even then I'm not sure which of these lenses I will be keeping around.

Should I just get step up rings to 58mm? Chances are I wont be keeping that lens (the 40-150mm). I've had it for 2 months now and haven't shot a single picture with it. Or any other size relatively more common/cheaper?

2. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    For the cost (eBay) just buy a selection of step up filters to your largest filter size.
    I'll put in a note that for DSLRs the filter size for pro lenses generally is 77mm... Just a though.

Otis what I have done.

3. The downside of using a common filter size is that a 58mm filter on a 37mm lens is a big piece of glass, so it may be best to choose two common filter sizes over such a broad range of diameters. Also bear in mind that if your larger lenses are adapted film lenses you can afford to use a step-down ring up to 3 sizes smaller in some cases and use smaller filters without vignetting.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree with this. My common sizes are 49mm (I like this size for my pancakes), 67mm (good for most High-Grade lenses), and 77mm (good for most top-pro lenses). So any filter size smaller than those three steps get a step-up ring to the next level.

5. peaceridge

peaceridge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    Let me see if I understand this correctly. My new camera is E-PL2. Kit lens 14-42 has a filter size of 58. Ultimately I'll probably have lenses of filter size 46 and 67. So, one filter for all might be the 58 and use a step down ring to the 46 and a step up ring to the 67. Anyone see any difficulty in this plan?

Lynn