1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Choosing filters and step up rings?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by eyeguy, May 19, 2011.

1. eyeguy

eyeguy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    So I've finally accumulated a nice little collection of lenses.

I was wondering what you guys do regarding choosing a filter size. Anyone here just buy separate filters for each lens?

If not, how do you choose which filter size to go with? I my filter sizes are 37mm, 46mm, 49mm, 55mm, 58mm. And even then I'm not sure which of these lenses I will be keeping around.

Should I just get step up rings to 58mm? Chances are I wont be keeping that lens (the 40-150mm). I've had it for 2 months now and haven't shot a single picture with it. Or any other size relatively more common/cheaper?

2. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    For the cost (eBay) just buy a selection of step up filters to your largest filter size.
    I'll put in a note that for DSLRs the filter size for pro lenses generally is 77mm... Just a though.

Otis what I have done.

3. The downside of using a common filter size is that a 58mm filter on a 37mm lens is a big piece of glass, so it may be best to choose two common filter sizes over such a broad range of diameters. Also bear in mind that if your larger lenses are adapted film lenses you can afford to use a step-down ring up to 3 sizes smaller in some cases and use smaller filters without vignetting.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree with this. My common sizes are 49mm (I like this size for my pancakes), 67mm (good for most High-Grade lenses), and 77mm (good for most top-pro lenses). So any filter size smaller than those three steps get a step-up ring to the next level.

5. peaceridge

peaceridge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    Let me see if I understand this correctly. My new camera is E-PL2. Kit lens 14-42 has a filter size of 58. Ultimately I'll probably have lenses of filter size 46 and 67. So, one filter for all might be the 58 and use a step down ring to the 46 and a step up ring to the 67. Anyone see any difficulty in this plan?

Lynn

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.