Choosing a Genre

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Nathan King, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Nathan King

Nathan King Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    I'm still new to photography and am finding myself shooting all sorts of different subjects. How did all of you more experienced photographers settle on one or only a few genres?
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Shooting different subjects is not a bad thing. To me its much better to do that than just concentrate on one thing.

Shoot what you enjoy

3. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Just keep shooting - eventually you'll gravitate toward what you enjoy the most. I find that I love looking at landscapes and architectural shots way more than I like taking them. My pictures are most exciting to me when there are people involved.
  4. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Shoot all kinds of shots - around the house, on trips, people, parties, places. Shoot all times of day, etc. You get the picture. Sooner or later you will find what you enjoy most and do best.
  5. jacko

jacko New to Mu-43

May 30, 2013
    I totally agree....shoot whatever catches your eye. Don't do what I have done...i have been shooting doors .... all around the world....lots and lots of doors....books of contact sheets of doors.....a drive full of electronic doors., shoot, shoot, shoot....lots and lots of stuff...and HAVE FUN.
  6. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I once read that Henri Marie Raymond de Toulouse-Lautrec-Monfa began his works with the subjects that were most prevalent to him at the time he woke up.
    This seems to be a sensible start.
    I once began photographing the window through which the sun drenched the curtains and right side of the chair in my tiny bedroom.

Just jump in the photography continuum and enjoy the ride. Keep shooting until you find something that cultivates your creativity.
  7. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Photography captures a moment in your life.

So you shoot what matters to you at that moment.

If you have a newborn, your theme will be the newborn.

If you have kids in sports, you'll be shooting sports.

If you're traveling, then you'll shoot travel moments.

Then, there are artists who tap into their creativity to express their art through photography. I don't know how to do that.
  8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I think you shoot what you have opportunity and desire to shoot - I almost said opportunity alone, but then I realized I could do a lot of portrait photography if I wanted to, but that particular genre doesn't grab me. Street/documentary is my favorite genre, but I live in such a small, often generic, town, I shoot more landscape and scenery, just 'cause in southwestern Oregon we're given an overabundance of cool scenery.
  9. Same way thieves choose their marks, proximity and opportunity.
  10. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    I can empathise with the OP as I too feel as if, to be taken seriously, I should pick a genre and stick to it. I obviously take pictures of the things/people around me but still have this niggle that I should pick one or two genres and put my time energy & resources into perfecting my images in those areas. :confused:
  11. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    If it's for your pleasure, then just keep shooting what interests you. You will enjoy it more than following what other people enjoy.

If you plan to keep this hobby for a long time, then the longer you try out and mess around with a variety of different subjects, the better it is and the deeper you can go. You might even head off in a direction no one here has even thought of.
  12. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  13. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    The question that comes to my mind when reading your post is by whom do you wish to be taken seriously? Family, friends, potential clients? If the latter, then I suspect that if you are still trying to figure out how to impress them, then you may want to spend some down time on your marketing and business plan when not refining your photo skills.

Good luck,