1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Choices I made for my camera system due to work coming up - investment and selling gear

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Ramirez, May 9, 2014.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    As I´ve written earlier in another thread, my hybrid/media business has started to take off.
    For me video has become more important than before.

This lead me to Panasonic camera bodies and as I´ve been recording a lot inside, also to Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 lens (I need both zoom capability as I am working a lot with tripods and better speed than standard f3.5-5.6 zooms).

As I am not super rich this means that my gear has changed a lot lately.

Investments lately:

Panasonic GH3 (actually earlier investment that lead to more), battery grip and spare battery
    Panasonic G6 (demo model that I got cheap) for b-cam
    Panasonic Lumix G X 12-35 f2.8 (a pricey investment but very much needed)
    Tripods, mics, filters etc.

Sold gear:
    Fuji X-E1 and both Fujinon lenses (18-55 and 35)
    Sigma 30 & 60 f2.8 and Panasonic Lumix 14-45

My satisfaction with my choices so far:

The Fujinon 18-55 was redundant due to the Panasonic 12-35
    Fuji X-E1 is a great stills camera but not fast enough for the people situations I find myself in
    I will miss the great Fujinon XF35 f1.4 but I cannot have it all, functional video and faster AF has been more important to me lately (E-M5 and GH3 provides this)
    I have ordered the TCL-X100 tele conversion lens for my Fuji X100s (that I´ll never depart from) to cover some of what I´ll miss from Fujinon XF35

I recently took some photos for a customer in a hurry (he needed the photos straight away/had only an iPad, no computer ); If I had used my Fujis, I would have had to go home and transfer the photos from the SD card and emailed them. But I had my GH3 and my iPad. After photos was taken, I transfered them with Lumix Link though cameras Wi-Fi functionality. Then Airdropped to his iPad. It was raining outside when I was photographing his house and his garden. GH3 and 12-35 provides some weather sealing...
    After this fast photo shoot, I just smiled... happy that I choose my m4/3 gear.

I am very satisfied with the gear I have now for the assignments I get.

What I now use for video and photo assignments:

Panasonic Lumix GH3 & G6 - my video setup (also photo)
    Olympus OM-D E-M5 and Fuji X100s for photo

Panasonic Lumix G X 12-35 f2.8 (my primary workhorse)
    Panasonic Lumix 14 f2.5 (mounted on G6 when using G6 as b-cam)
    Olympus m.zuiko 45 f1.8
    Olympus m.zuiko 40-150 f4-5.6 (occasional nature photography - need to someday invest in Panasonic Lumix G X 35-100 f2.8)

For Fuji X100s: WCL-X100 (28mm eq.) & coming TCL-X100 (50mm eq.)

For now this will be the gear that I work with.
    For my situation I find these choices the right ones.

2. DennisC

DennisC Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Like you I'll never give up my X100S in fact I can't give up my X100...two of the greatest cameras ever made!

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    How about the little i-pad card reader? I suppose if it doesn't go in your pocket on the day ...