1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Choices I made for my camera system due to work coming up - investment and selling gear

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Ramirez, May 9, 2014.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    As I´ve written earlier in another thread, my hybrid/media business has started to take off.
    For me video has become more important than before.

This lead me to Panasonic camera bodies and as I´ve been recording a lot inside, also to Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 lens (I need both zoom capability as I am working a lot with tripods and better speed than standard f3.5-5.6 zooms).

As I am not super rich this means that my gear has changed a lot lately.

Investments lately:

Panasonic GH3 (actually earlier investment that lead to more), battery grip and spare battery
    Panasonic G6 (demo model that I got cheap) for b-cam
    Panasonic Lumix G X 12-35 f2.8 (a pricey investment but very much needed)
    Tripods, mics, filters etc.

Sold gear:
    Fuji X-E1 and both Fujinon lenses (18-55 and 35)
    Sigma 30 & 60 f2.8 and Panasonic Lumix 14-45

My satisfaction with my choices so far:

The Fujinon 18-55 was redundant due to the Panasonic 12-35
    Fuji X-E1 is a great stills camera but not fast enough for the people situations I find myself in
    I will miss the great Fujinon XF35 f1.4 but I cannot have it all, functional video and faster AF has been more important to me lately (E-M5 and GH3 provides this)
    I have ordered the TCL-X100 tele conversion lens for my Fuji X100s (that I´ll never depart from) to cover some of what I´ll miss from Fujinon XF35

I recently took some photos for a customer in a hurry (he needed the photos straight away/had only an iPad, no computer ); If I had used my Fujis, I would have had to go home and transfer the photos from the SD card and emailed them. But I had my GH3 and my iPad. After photos was taken, I transfered them with Lumix Link though cameras Wi-Fi functionality. Then Airdropped to his iPad. It was raining outside when I was photographing his house and his garden. GH3 and 12-35 provides some weather sealing...
    After this fast photo shoot, I just smiled... happy that I choose my m4/3 gear.

I am very satisfied with the gear I have now for the assignments I get.

What I now use for video and photo assignments:

Panasonic Lumix GH3 & G6 - my video setup (also photo)
    Olympus OM-D E-M5 and Fuji X100s for photo

Panasonic Lumix G X 12-35 f2.8 (my primary workhorse)
    Panasonic Lumix 14 f2.5 (mounted on G6 when using G6 as b-cam)
    Olympus m.zuiko 45 f1.8
    Olympus m.zuiko 40-150 f4-5.6 (occasional nature photography - need to someday invest in Panasonic Lumix G X 35-100 f2.8)

For Fuji X100s: WCL-X100 (28mm eq.) & coming TCL-X100 (50mm eq.)

For now this will be the gear that I work with.
    For my situation I find these choices the right ones.

2. DennisC

DennisC Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Like you I'll never give up my X100S in fact I can't give up my X100...two of the greatest cameras ever made!

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    How about the little i-pad card reader? I suppose if it doesn't go in your pocket on the day ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.