1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

choices, choices

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by frafra, Feb 23, 2016.

1. frafra

frafra New to Mu-43

Jan 30, 2016
    E-p5 and gx7 are really cheap now. In the Netherlands gx7 body is €400, e-p5 is €500. Both camera's are rather old but very good. I read no bad things about them. E-m10 mark ii is €600 and rather new. It has good ibis but e-p5 has too. It has evf but gx7 has too. Silent mode, gx7 has too. Is ibis really important when my longest lens will be 60mm? I like more the pen model of e-p5 and gx7, I don't really need a evf, but when it's there maybe I'll use it more. My use is for landscapes, architecture, street, macro, but no sport, no children. I intend to buy some primes, so IQ is important. So my question is: is e-m10II worth the extra money?

2. DioNik

DioNik New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2016
    Was in the same dilemma after my GF1 was stolen, and got THE EM10 II. Worth every penny, the IBIS is awesome.

3. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

It really depends on what form factor is most comfortable for you. I couldn't imagine trying to good photos without a view finder; I hate composing on the rear screen. This does not seem to be an issue for you. On the other hand, the newer IBIS really is a step above what came before. That 60mm lens behaves like a 120mm and IBIS can help in hand-held shooting.

Despite technical improvements in the newer bodies, I suggest just going with what feels most comfortable to you. You will enjoy it more.

You may want to take a look at this thread just down the queue:
    Goodby EP5 - Discountinued

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Fwiw, the EVF is odd on the GX7; it's 16x9 (for video), which means when shooting 4:3 photos the view is very small.

I haven't seen the E-M10 II (or the Pen-F) to see how they compare.

Also note the GM5 is very cheap now from some dealers, but it has a couple limitations.

Barry

5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I agree with jfrader.... it all depends of what style/form factor appeals to you the most.

With m4/3, I happen to prefer the rangefinder-styled bodies. I've had several Lumix and Olympus DSLR-style bodies and they're all sold now... what I've stuck with and love are the GX7, EP5, GM5, and now the PEN-F. I do prefer an EVF, so a VF4 is typically used with my EP5, which gives it a very clunky, odd form-factor, but a very good EVF. Thus, the GX7 and the PEN-F are my favorites as they have built-in EVF, off to the left side, so my nose and left side of my face is well off to the side, allowing the cameras to be held very close to the face, with the right eye deep to the EVF. With my E-M5, I disliked the central location of the EVF and the large hump on the top of the camera. That is simply MY personal view. You may feel differently.

I've had both the GX7 and EP5 since they were released. I have given my GX7 far more use, due to the incredible grip-hold design and the built-in EVF. I still love the EP5, though, and use it on occasion. Now that I have the PEN-F, I think the EP5 will see even less use, but I don't see myself selling it.

If I were in your position, I would buy the GX7. I've never had any issues at all with the view in the EVF... it works very well and isn't too small, in my opinion. The grip hold of the GX7 is fantastic... even with very large/heavy lenses. The EP5 is a great camera, especially with the VF4, but you've got to be ok with what adding the VF4 does to the size, shape/form factor of the camera - it's odd.

On the other hand, if you prefer the DSLR body style, then one of the OMDs or Lumix G-series may be just the ticket for you.

6. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    One thing that can rear its ugly head on the GX7 is shutter shock. Some will claim it doesn't exist but from first hand experience, numerous other reports and the fact Olympus includes 0-sec anti-shock to combat it on their cameras now (including E-M10 and E-P5) it is real. It certainly doesn't mean the GX7 can't take good pictures (because it can) but it is something to be aware of if you are constantly working in the critical shutter speed range for shutter shock (approx 1/60 to 1/240).

I certainly agree with Don though in that the GX7 is the best m4/3 rangefinder to hold ergonomics wise.

7. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    With regard to shutter shock, I've been using my GX7 in electronic shutter mode for nearly as long as I've had the camera (since initial release of the model) and as such, no shutter shock evidence whatsoever. So I'd say if you don't mind using electronic shutter mode, you will not experience any shutter shock with the GX7.

Edited to add: the electronic shutter was one of the features that I very much appreciated with the GX7, not only for being able to have dead silent operation, but also for eliminating possibility of shutter shock.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Yes, seeing as the electronic shutter doesn't involve any mechanical movement of the actual shutter you can be guaranteed of no shutter shock. However you then need to be aware of limitations the electronic shutter imposes, its not a free trade, unlike the 0-sec Olympus setting which has no apparent downside. Now as long as you are aware of these issues (potential shutter shock or electronic shutter limitations) and don't think they will effect your shooting the GX7 is a great camera.

9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't disagree with what you are saying, as it is a risk on any lightweight camera with a larger sensor. But I'll just say that it is not a major issue on the GX7 in my experience. I certainly wouldn't be afraid to buy the GX7 because of a tiny risk of shutter shock. I have been through about 10 lenses on my GX7 and the only one I've seen shutter shock cause some issues is with the PL45mm at about 1/100. No other lenses I've owned have had any issue with it using the standard shutter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Shutter shock is very interesting phenomenon, no way I am going to get into it here, anyone wanting info can just google it, goodness knows it has been covered and tested 100 times over. All I am saying is a buyer should probably be aware of the potential issue as part of their buying process not that it should preclude the GX7 as a option.

• Like Like x 1
  11. frafra

frafra New to Mu-43

Jan 30, 2016
    Thank you all for your answers. I have decided: the e-m10ii. The most important reason is the better ibis (and the newer techique). And maybe I'll use the viewfinder more, but my experiences with eyeglasses and viewfinders are not so good. I have a nice offer for e-m10ii body new for € 549,00 so I go for it.

• Agree Agree x 1