Choices, choices - (lens question)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by SW-GF1, Aug 23, 2010.

1. SW-GF1

SW-GF1 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 19, 2010
    Bude, Cornwall
    All,

I currently have the 20mm and 14-45mm for my GF1. I was looking at buying the 45-200 to get some different type of shots, and I have a friend going to the US in a couple of weeks and he is going to pick me one up cheaper than in the UK.

My question is, should I go ahead and buy the 45-200, as it would be a good addition to my lens setup, or would you suggest going for an adapter and looking at some other 4/3 lenses, or some older lenses, to give more versatility?

Thanks

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Have you thought about the Oly 9-18?
    That lens will really open you up.

3. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Yep, I'd go for the extra-wide before the tele, too.

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

I agree - I love the 9-18mm. There are quite a few threads in the Olympus forum that show different people's results with this lens. Scroll through there and take some time to look. There's also a thread in the Native Lenses section: https://www.mu-43.com/f80/olympus-9-18mm-f-4-5-6-image-thread-2537/index3.html though many do not post their shots in there. I honestly forget to most of the time, myself.:redface:

5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Lens selection should be considered on what you want to shoot. For landscapes, architecture and interiors go with the wide lens first. Wildlife and sports would demand the tele. If you are a "generalist" like me I want both. I bought the tele zoom first because:

1. I felt the 14mm of the kit lens gave me sufficient wide coverage for many shots.

2. The wide-angle zooms are very expensive and I didn't have the $. (main reason)

I hope to add a wider angle after Photokina so I can see what is coming out.

6. SW-GF1

SW-GF1 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 19, 2010
    Bude, Cornwall
    Hmmmm, if I go with the Oly 9-18 I don't get IS, right? Although, looking at the shots on the thread dedicated to this lens I do like the results.

7. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    No, you wouldn't have IS. You also wouldn't have IS with the 7-14, or the forthcoming 14mm pancake. When shooting at wide angles, image stabilization provides considerably less benefit compared to IS when shooting at long telephoto lengths.

8. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    also worth remembering that every single classic image taken since the dawn of photography until a very few years ago was captured without the use of IS ...

• Like Like x 2
  9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Many good points being made. Perhaps you'll decide to wait a while and figure out what sorts of photos you think you are missing with what you have?

10. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    If you're like me and you constantly find yourself racking out to 45mm wishing that the 14-45mm would go further, then the 45-200mm might be for you; OTOH, if you find likewise that you'd like to go wider than 14mm all the time, then a wide-angle may be the way to go. Like others say, it depends on what you want to do.

Fortunately you don't have to agonize over which telezoom to choose: there's only 1 native MFT lens offering IS (image stabilization), the 45-200mm. The Panasonic 14-140mm I have owned briefly, is inferior in IQ; don't know about the Olympus 14-150mm, this one doesn't offer IS. In my experience IS is especially helpful with slow telezooms like this one. OTOH, I never miss IS with my 7-14mm, I can easily pull off shots with 1/15 s or so.

Legacy lenses are nice to play around with, as many people seem to be doing, just keep in mind that you have to manually focus and close the aperture before each shot and open up afterwards; all this manual fuss turned me off very quickly for normal shooting. Quick shooting is easier with a native MFT lens.

11. I have the 14-45 and the 45-200 and find myself using the telephoto much more than the normal zoom. With that said, if I plan on shooting at an air show or auto race, I always use my Canon 5D and 100-400 because the panny does not focus quick enough IMO.

12. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    IS is much more important for tele lenses. The most relevant question is not, if you need IS for the 9-18mm, but which lens you need. And this question has to be answered by you and nobody else. Have you missed a tele more often than more wide angle? Then go for the tele zoom. Have you missed a much wider lens than you have now? Then go for the wide angle zoom.

If you want to get the most helpful advice, you shall tell, what you want to photograph. The 9-18mm and the 45-200mm are completely different lenses for completely different purposes. Don't knowing the purpose, one can just guess. It would not help you, if I told you my preferences.

13. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Same here, if I plan on continuous shooting with autofocus (e.g. for trainspotting I'm doing at the moment) I use my Nikon D300s and the excellent Nikkor VR 70-300mm. For relatively static objects however, the G1's AF is decidedly more reliable: no surprises, no fussing around with AF fine-tune. "Say what?" an MFT-only user will say. With my G1 I never worry about focussing accuracy or back/front focussing, ever. A DSLR is a totally different story :mad:.

14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I have the 45-200 and really like it. Focuses quick, and the IS really works when you get racked out. I have not missed the gap between the 20mm and 45mm focal lengths yet.

15. EasyEd

EasyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Hey All,

Actually I think it depends upon where you are shooting and what you intend for the final image to capture.

I find that I often use the 45-200 on the G1 even though I am mostly interested in wide angle landscapes. Often what I want captured on the final image is "in the distance" not "close to me". If I try to go wide I get too much "stuff" I have to crop so I end up using the long lens. Other times when I'm "in the landscape" I can use the wider lens. You cannot always "zoom" - in or out - with your feet. So the issue goes beyond just what you want to photograph - you really need to think about the circumstances under which you are photographing - as well as what you want to photograph. It isn't simple and will vary from place to place. Good luck with your choice.

-Ed-

16. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Exactly, at the end of the day only you can decide what you want to shoot and why, if that involves you shooting with a telephoto lens then no amount of advice about wide angles lenses will make you change your mind. So having decided that it is say telephoto then ask for advice on peoples experience with that type of lens, will your shots be taken with the lens tripod mounted for example, in which case IS is of less importance, also would you be happy without auto focus facility, ask these basic questions of yourself and good luck with your final choice.

Barrie