1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Choice: Think Tank Hubba Hiney or Domke F-5XB

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by DHart, Jun 27, 2012.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Many times as a tourist I like a camera (sometimes two) hanging off sling straps, and often want access to another couple of lenses, cell phone, wallet, etc. What I don't want is to be schlepping around a larger bag along with two bodies on sling straps - too bulky and too much to juggle.

I've decided that the answer is a hip-bag just large enough to hold two or three lenses, or possibly two lenses and a Pen body, cell phone, wallet.

The two that I'm considering are:

Domke F-5XB $79
    Interior: 9.5 x 6 x 4

Think Tank Hubba Hiney $49
    Interior: 10.5 x 6.5 x 4

Any thoughts comparing these two bags for hip-use would be great. Thanks.

2. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    I have the Domke F-5XB and bought the belt attachment to use as a hip pack and it does work but I found it a bit uncomfortable while I was hiking with it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I have the Domke (the nylon version...H-5XB?). I haven't worn it as a hip sack, but I can say the bag is perfect for my e-m5 with 25mm lens attached, plus two spots on either side for lenses (45-175, etc.) Nice little bag, decent quality...but the more expensive of your two options.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Don, a 3rd option if you don't mind having to customize the bag, would consider a non-camera bag and are looking for a hip/waist specific bag.

MountainSmith Tour (smallest of the lumbar series) waist pack. Just checked the older model I have against the F5-XB. It's a couple inches longer and maybe an inch thicker than the Domke. Interior space is similar. The "delta" multi-adjustable waist strap allows for customize fit to your body and distributes the load well. Grab handle are a plus. Optional shoulder strap configuration. One large exterior and one small interior zippered pocket & compression straps. For quick access without having to reach back I just slightly loosen the waist cinch and rotate the pack 90-180 degrees. Highly water and dust resistant.

5. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I really like both bags but have only the Hiney right now. I like to carry a little more so the added space of the Hiney made it a necessary upgrade.

One thing about the Hiney is that there is really no room for a cell phone and wallet. The outer pockets are a little too short for my iphone and I feel like it may fall out. The main pocket is very thin. A wallet/phone might fit but it'll be tight.

The XB's storage is not much larger but if I remember correctly is adequate for phone/wallet/keys. The flap also helps secure the pocket contents.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Thanks, everyone, for the comments. Food for thought.

noelh... great suggestion... a well designed general purpose fanny pack may be the best choice of all. I'll have a look at the MountainSmith gear.

7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    John, how is the main opening on the HH? I've tried two Retro bags from TT and just didn't like how narrow the opening was. Looks great in their product pix, but it seems to be rolled over to create a wider-than-normal opening.

Thanks.

8. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Actually you've touched on one of the beauties of the bag. It's a plain standard zippered opening which you would think is less flexible than a "fixed" opening with flap. On the contrary when unzipped the bag flexes open to over 6" wide in the middle. It allows me to store my G3 with it's width perpendicular(hooded 25mm pointed down) to the length of the bag. It is still easily removed and replaced. I can actually fit two bodies with lenses mounted like this and a stacked pair of lenses. All while maintaining an outer size pretty close to the XB.

Another beauty is its modular nature. I plan on adding a belt to my HH and slim changer. I can move the extra lenses out of the HH and into the SC for better balance/weight distribution and even easier access to the two bodies(width mounted parallel). In theory that's two bodies with mounted lenses, 3/4 extra lenses, hands/shoulders free and close to the body. I think it will be great for hiking and biking.

I'll probably never need that much gear for an outing but just the thought of it has me itching to try it.

Here's a snap of the opening.
    [​IMG]

I also found that my keys/wallet/phone actually do fit and don't impede into the interior space and accessibility.

Hats off to TTP for making this bag small and yet pretty large.

• Like Like x 1
  9. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I have a Domke F2 that is now 30 years old and as good now as it ever was.

...just sayin'

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    A few lenses and camera will be a tight fit for the F-5XB but it will work, the F-5XC is a better size but you lose hip-ability. Often, when I walk the pooch, I use a fanny pack, it lacks padding but works well in holding a few camera and personal items and plastic bags.

The Domke is much more attractive.

Gary

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've been finding the FX5B a little tight to get things in/out of. I keep thinking the zipper might scratch a camera, lens, etc. I don't know the other bag.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Srhedd... The F2 is huge with respect to the type of bag I am discussing here... I'm looking for something akin to a hip case which will hold 2 or 3 m4/3 lenses to support a camera carried on a sling strap. Not looking for another big shoulder bag.

14. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Gary... a fanny pack is probably exactly the type of case I'm looking for to carry a couple of extra m4/3 lenses and, perhaps, a small m4/3 body... to support a main m4/3 camera/lens carried over the shoulder with a sling strap.

15. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M

Don't rule out the Hiney. Get the belt it's a fanny pack. Take it off it's a shoulder bag. Put a water pouch on - take it off, etc.

Although maybe a little geeky looking with all the modulars. :biggrin:

16. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I'm speaking to the quality and durability. I've been using an F6 for the past couple of weeks with my m4/3 stuff. I highly recommend that size.

17. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I have an Eastern Mountain Sport fanny pack that I use here. You might want to look at making inserts or just using small Temba or Domke wraps as padding. It doesn't scream Camera Bag Bearing Gringa from 300 yards.

What I have looks rather like the Swift II. I carry a gallon size ziplock bag with me in case of rain -- you might see about having a pull on cover made if the pack in question isn't as water resistant as a traditional camera bag. It has elastic cording zigzagging across the front for stuffing jackets under.

I loved the ThinkTank Speed Demon for full sized gear, but it's overkill for m43rds and a bit too pricy.

18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    mmmmhh ... if you're slinging the camera, the F-5XB would probably fit the bill ... with a camera it is doable but tight. The Domke is much more classy than a fanny pack. Fanny packs are for people like moi, people picking up pooch poo ... not people like you who blend their own whiskey.

G

19. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Gary... I agree that fanny packs can look a bit dorkey. :rofl: but like you, I'm at the point where I don't care much about what other people think... AND, I pick up BIG dog poohs... as you can probably tell from my avatar. :wink: (You too can blend your own whiskeys!)

Sounds like the Domke will work well... I not like the tall bags which allow an iPad, I've already got plenty of bigger bags including Tenba Mini and Small Messengers.

20. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Yes, but as an inspiration ... not as an original thought. On hand, I have a bottle of Maker's Mark, Glenlivet, Walker Black and Jack Daniels (not a big whiskey drinker) anything worth blending together or should I get more stuff?

G