1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Choice of Memory Cards

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Marruk8865, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Marruk8865

Marruk8865 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2010
    The Hague, Netherlands
    I have several memory cards (SD) in use with my Nex-5 but I do not know if these cards are also suitable for use with the Nex-5 movie option. The cards that I have: 16GB SanDisk Ultra Class 4 and Class 4 16GB Sandisk VideoHD. These are 15MB / s.

I doubt if I should switch to the Class 6 ExtremeHD Video (20mb / s)
    So far I have only made short films and thus no problems detected. But I do not know if it makes a difference with longer movies or burst shooting. Class 4 cards would then also be sufficient?

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I use Class 10 cards. They do everything well.

3. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Class 10 works for me!

4. pboga

pboga Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2010
    Brazil
    Same here.
    I use an Transcend 8gb class 10 on my e-pl1.

Works like a charm!

5. Marruk8865

Marruk8865 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2010
    The Hague, Netherlands
    Mmm...
    Transcend Class 10: up to 20MB/s
    Sandisk Class 6: up to 20MB/s

So what is the difference between class 6 and class 10?

6. jcurious

jcurious Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm not sure where those speeds are coming from.. according to Wikipedia class

6=6MB/s

10=10MB/s

speed ratings are not verified by anyone, they are are seen by devices writing to them so that a camcorder that requires at least class 6 or whatever can warn users of slow memory.

Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. Marruk8865

Marruk8865 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2010
    The Hague, Netherlands
    Well, I got those details from the manufacterers site from both cards.
    I really don't get it! Class..., ...mb/s....... One big mystery to me!

When I shoot in fast burst (RAW) with a Sandisk class 4 (15mb/s???) my camera stops after 6 or 7 shots.

Pffff....

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Um, since this relates directly to how fast the camera can write to the card, perhaps you should ask this on a Sony NEX forum?

Personally, I'm using Patriot Class 10, and they seem plenty fast.

9. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Class 6 = minimum of 6mb/s
    Class 10 = minimum of 10mb/s

Many go quite faster, that's just a guaranteed minimum. As for the pausing after a burst, that can have as much to do with the camera as the card. The camera has a buffer in it, once the buffer is full, it has to wait for it to empty out enough before taking another shot. A faster card may not help much especially if shooting RAW. If you're shooting raw, that's ~15mb / image. Multiply that times the number of images per second your camera can shoot and you see why you're at the mercy of the buffer not the card. Even a 20mb/s card can only store 1 1/3 images per second.

10. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

While memory card speed has an effect on down loading images to your card the greatest effect it the buffer size of your camera. I have a camera that will shoot about 7 frames a second but in RAW the buffer is filled up about 17 frames then it slows down. The first 17 frames are fast the next are all dependent on the card. If my math is right, I believe I would have to have a 140MB/S card to keep up with the camera and I don't believe they make such a beast.

woops Sorry Zach didn't read your post so consider I am buttressing what you said.

• Like Like x 1
  11. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    the sandisk is a bit faster, but you will not run the camera fast enough to need that little extra bit of speed.

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Class 6 tends to be the minimum required for video, at least with Olympus cameras (Class 4 won't work).

Cheers

Ray

13. Marruk8865

Marruk8865 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2010
    The Hague, Netherlands
    Well, I ordered a Transcend Class 10. See how that works.

14. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Because Class 6 is just a MINIMUM of 6MB/s and class 10 is just a MINIMUM of 10MB/s (yet most go higher in both categories) I have class 6 cards that are faster than class 10 cards.. But I guess at the end of the day 10MB/s is fast enough for HD video so you are safer with a card rated 10..

15. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I have a Transcend class 10 32gb that's been working great in my GH2. Prior to that I had a transcend class 6 8gb in my G1 for a year and a half with no problems. They seem to be a great value.

16. Marruk8865

Marruk8865 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2010
    The Hague, Netherlands
    First I wanted nothing but Sandisk. But they are so expensive.
    Now I ordered 2x Transcend 16GB Class 10 for €35 each.

17. Camphoto

Camphoto New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2011
  18. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I only see a difference in capturing video, but I'm not a hard-core shooter.

19. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I avoid Sandisk these days, you pay more for no real advantage.. Actually I have had so many sd cards from so many different known and unknown brands but the only ones to ever fail were Sandisk ones (3 times)..

20. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

I'm now using a Transcend Ultimate Class 10 16gb SD card. Absolutely no problems with it. Great value!