Choice of Memory Cards

Marruk8865

Mu-43 Rookie
I have several memory cards (SD) in use with my Nex-5 but I do not know if these cards are also suitable for use with the Nex-5 movie option. The cards that I have: 16GB SanDisk Ultra Class 4 and Class 4 16GB Sandisk VideoHD. These are 15MB / s.

I doubt if I should switch to the Class 6 ExtremeHD Video (20mb / s)
So far I have only made short films and thus no problems detected. But I do not know if it makes a difference with longer movies or burst shooting. Class 4 cards would then also be sufficient?

pboga

Mu-43 Regular
Same here.
I use an Transcend 8gb class 10 on my e-pl1.

Works like a charm!

jcurious

Mu-43 Regular
Mmm...
Transcend Class 10: up to 20MB/s
Sandisk Class 6: up to 20MB/s
I'm not sure where those speeds are coming from.. according to Wikipedia class

6=6MB/s

10=10MB/s

speed ratings are not verified by anyone, they are are seen by devices writing to them so that a camcorder that requires at least class 6 or whatever can warn users of slow memory.

Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marruk8865

Mu-43 Rookie
Well, I got those details from the manufacterers site from both cards.
I really don't get it! Class..., ...mb/s....... One big mystery to me!

When I shoot in fast burst (RAW) with a Sandisk class 4 (15mb/s???) my camera stops after 6 or 7 shots.

Pffff....

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Um, since this relates directly to how fast the camera can write to the card, perhaps you should ask this on a Sony NEX forum?

Personally, I'm using Patriot Class 10, and they seem plenty fast.

zpierce

Super Moderator
Real Name
Zach
Well, I got those details from the manufacterers site from both cards.
I really don't get it! Class..., ...mb/s....... One big mystery to me!

When I shoot in fast burst (RAW) with a Sandisk class 4 (15mb/s???) my camera stops after 6 or 7 shots.

Pffff....
Class 6 = minimum of 6mb/s
Class 10 = minimum of 10mb/s

Many go quite faster, that's just a guaranteed minimum. As for the pausing after a burst, that can have as much to do with the camera as the card. The camera has a buffer in it, once the buffer is full, it has to wait for it to empty out enough before taking another shot. A faster card may not help much especially if shooting RAW. If you're shooting raw, that's ~15mb / image. Multiply that times the number of images per second your camera can shoot and you see why you're at the mercy of the buffer not the card. Even a 20mb/s card can only store 1 1/3 images per second.

Grant

Mu-43 Veteran

While memory card speed has an effect on down loading images to your card the greatest effect it the buffer size of your camera. I have a camera that will shoot about 7 frames a second but in RAW the buffer is filled up about 17 frames then it slows down. The first 17 frames are fast the next are all dependent on the card. If my math is right, I believe I would have to have a 140MB/S card to keep up with the camera and I don't believe they make such a beast.

woops Sorry Zach didn't read your post so consider I am buttressing what you said.

joele

Mu-43 Regular
Because Class 6 is just a MINIMUM of 6MB/s and class 10 is just a MINIMUM of 10MB/s (yet most go higher in both categories) I have class 6 cards that are faster than class 10 cards.. But I guess at the end of the day 10MB/s is fast enough for HD video so you are safer with a card rated 10..

joele

Mu-43 Regular
I avoid Sandisk these days, you pay more for no real advantage.. Actually I have had so many sd cards from so many different known and unknown brands but the only ones to ever fail were Sandisk ones (3 times)..

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom