Choice of body to use

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by adsinger, Jan 2, 2010.

1. adsinger

adsinger Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Jan 2, 2010
    First Coast, FL
    Hello, I've just registered here so I'm a newby. Not so new to photography though. Have been shooting for forty years or so, digiitally for the last ten. I've just sold all my Canon DSLR gear, haven't used it since buying a Leica D Lux-4 eighteen months ago. The Leica will stay but I see the m4/3 system as a logical step in my desire for small but capable. My gear does not have to be pocketable. I do, however, quite a bit of motorcycle touring where space is always at a premium.

I have a few lenses that I think will be effective on a m4/3 camera; Konica 40mm f1.8 and 135mm f3.5, Helios 58mm f2.0, and a Pen F 50-90mm zoom. I plan to buy a Panny 20mm and maybe 14-45 zzom.

I continue to waffle about on the choice of body to use. The GF-1 is probably my "favorite" but I worry about how well it will work with my lenses, especially the longer ones. How well will I be able to focus manually? How is holding a 270mm equivalent lens? Or I could go for the G1/GH1 which would give me a viewfinder for focus and a body shape that can place the camera against the forehead for tele use. But do I give up a lot of size this way? Lastly, there is the E-P2, wins on style/size and has the eye-level viewfinder but seems to suffer in the AF mode. I can't get a good read on "how slow is slow?".

Yes, I should go to a camera store and try them, but there are none anywhere near here. So I'm posting in hopes of advice from you folks who may have the same needs.

Thanks for listening.

alan.

Note from admin (Amin): This post and chalkdust's reply below were copied here from a thread focused on the use of manual lenses on Panasonic bodies. I added the title.

2. chalkdust

chalkdust Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 29, 2009
    McKinney, Texas
    adsinger, since this thread is about non-panasonic/olympus lenses, the auto focus "slowness" of the EP1/2 should not be a problem. :) You ask all the same questions I would ask. I prefer the eye-level view finder of the G1/GH1/EP2 for my work. You are, of course, not LIMITED to an eye-level view finder with them. How much you do want video capability? If you would use that seldom-to-never, the G1 is a good option. But if you would like to do some video, stick to the GH1/EP2.
    my $0.02.

3. codocee

codocee New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Hey folks I'm new as well but am ready to dive in for a body and join the fun. I too am looking for the right combo for my needs. I passed on the GF1 due to a couple of niggles, namely a decent viewfinder and possible ergonomic issues. G1 looks like the ticket with the articulating screen but not sure of where to find one. Hopefully I'll come across something soon.
    The sight appears to be a breath of fresh air for the Micro 4/3 crowd. I look forward to contributing in any way possible.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Welcome, codocee, and thanks for the kind words about mu-43! I think the G1 is a great choice, so long as you don't want to shoot video with it.

Alan, you give up some size with the G1/GH1, but to me it's not a lot of size. That's a personal take, though. If I were going to shoot a lot of manual focus lenses via adapter, I think my choice would be E-P2 because of the EVF, in-body stabilization, and because auto ISO for adapted lenses seems to function better on Oly cameras than on Panasonics, where there is no auto ISO in shutter priority and manual exposure modes.

5. adsinger

Jan 2, 2010
    First Coast, FL
    Thanks for the response. Interestingly enough I bought a G1 last night before reading your reply. I can use the EVF with my legacy lenses. I loved the articulated LCD on my old G2 so that's a plus. But the big reason was the price, less than half that of the GH1 (that includes the big zoom which I really did not want). The G1 is the best value entry into m4/3, and I never do video. Until the "perfect" camera comes around, it'll do.

alan.

6. chalkdust

chalkdust Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 29, 2009
    McKinney, Texas
    very nice! That is the same camera I have. Be sure to get the latest software update. I think you will enjoy using this camera. I certainly have.

7. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i almost bought that , but settled on the e-p1 , wouldnt mind having the g-1 for the excellent evf

8. adsinger

Jan 2, 2010
    First Coast, FL
    The G1 and Legacy Glass

My adapters finally arrived from China this week. Wouldn't you know, it rained for the next two days. I played around a bit today with the Konica 40 and the Pen 50-90. Very enjoyable to use; getting used to manual operation.

I shot a few pictures of an old tractor while testing. These were shot using the Pen zoom, they're uncropped, just some minimal color correction. I'm very happy with my choice of the G1, the old lenses, and the 20mm f1.7. All I need now is a longer zoom, possibly the kit 45-200 mainly for the size and stabilizer.

alan.

Attached Files: