1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Chipmunk 3 crops. 45-200 / ISO 800

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Alanroseman, May 30, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    This is a three image series of a Chipmunk. Hangs out most of the day eating acorns on a little platform off of the Oak tree.

Conditions. Grey Overcast. Low Light. Low Contrast. Hence the high ISO- of 800.

Aperture 3 / NIK Define noise reduction / NIK Viveza

G1 / 45-200 @ 200mm / Hand Held / ISO 800 / f5.6-320 sec

Close to full crop
    1_Chipmunk_Full_Crop.

Medium Crop
    2_Chipmunk_med_Crop.

Tight Crop
    3_Chipmunk_Tight.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    they're so fast and twitchy....nice capture. I think i like the top one best.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think the tighter crops leave the chipmunk too centered. I would put him closer to the right, giving the impression of room to run into the frame.

4. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Nice shot Alan, and the light looks good here. Chipmunk is a beauty. You say ISO800 and then below it ISO 200, then I see in exif it is 800.

I'm no expert but I didn't think the G1 would do so well at that, with regard to noise and detail loss from cleaning it up. Is that the point?

Hand held or tripod?

5. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi tc,

Thanks. i wasn't cropping for composition. I was messing around with noise reduction. That said, you are quite right.

Sometimes I get zeroed i on what I'm trying to prove to myself, and pay no or little attention to the actual photo.

in this case, it started out wanting to capture the chipmunk, when I discovered the light was too low for hand held, or contrast with the 45-200... I decided to bump the ISO out to 800 and look for noise.... found it!

I liked to original comp. then I just kept cropping in and applying some noise filtration.

It works pretty well actually.

6. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    You are correct. I made a mistake in the title. They are all at ISO 800, which is what the title should have read....

I'll go make that edit right now..

Thanks. Alan

7. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That is a cute animal. For someone who hasn't seen one before it makes me smile. Are they always cute or sometimes cause a bit of grief?

8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    they are always cute....even when causing grief.

9. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    They may be one of the cutest animals about.

They do however dig up and replant your garden and flower seeds.

I'm sure they plan to return and complete whatever their mission was... but the usual result is tomato plants growing in your pepper starter tray.

10. Have multiple too friendly chipmunks around the house. Bit territorial, but no fear of humans. Chipmunk version of all star wrestling on the deck every morning. Bit of a pain regarding the garden. Usually they get thinned out by Ruby (resident Badger). Then another cluster from the surrounding woods move in. Cycle repeats itself a few times before winter sets in.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Noel,

No badgers here, but Fisher Cats...yes, foxes and eastern coyotes yes.
    In fact there was a road kill Fisher about 100 yards from the house yesterday..

Still and all. the Chipmunks are just about the only rodent around here that never seems to annoy me, this year they have a home right under my garden... short walk to the strawberries for them this year.

Alan

12. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Noel,

Jeesh, how'd you get sooooo close?

How's the new machine? Runs aperture like nobodies business, right?

13. Images were taken from ~8ft and cropped significantly. The critters are relatively tame. Trying to use Silkypics on the old 1st gen MacBook was click and wait...... A3 & iMac is click and done.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England

:2thumbs:

15. scotth

scotth Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2011
    Michigan
    That still looks good for having so much cropped.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    My girlfriend chuckled at the picks. She thought the chipmunks were so cute.

Great shots everyone.

I find these little critters in the mountains nearby, but they are very skittish. I'm sure the ones near homes and suburban areas are less fearful of humans.

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Alan- Alvin is very cute but it looks as if it lost an apendage.

G

18. Chip & Dale plus "friends"

While waiting patiently and with no success to capture an image of the Indigo Buntings the gang showed up to clean up under the bird feeders.
    Rerun of couple of the previous images, but touched up using Aperture3 adjustments. New to A3. Playing around with the program & organizing the various images. Images are all cropped. Captured using the 45-200mm @ 200mm mounted on the G2 or GF1.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Phil B

Phil B Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    UK
    Nice photos. I like the one with its cheeks stuffed full. It must be great to have things like that around to photograph.

20. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    These are wonderful Noel!

Liking Aperture 3??