Chinese community volleyball (Ottawa,Ontario,CA)

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by daimos, Jul 25, 2010.

1. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    gf1, 20 mm

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/24032450@N05/4828907788/" title="vb6 by daimosz, on Flickr">[​IMG]"640" height="534" alt="vb6" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/24032450@N05/4828295471/" title="vb5 by daimosz, on Flickr">[​IMG]"640" height="484" alt="vb5" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/24032450@N05/4828899116/" title="vb3 by daimosz, on Flickr">[​IMG]"576" height="640" alt="vb3" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/24032450@N05/4828896342/" title="vb1 by daimosz, on Flickr">[​IMG]"640" height="433" alt="vb1" /></a>

• Like Like x 12
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    daimos,
    Don't you know you can't get stop action with the m4/3 cameras. It seems you broke some rules....
    I'm glad ya did........ shooter

• Like Like x 2
  3. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    thanks shooter. :smile:
    i am not professional, i am learning.

one thing i learned with my gf1 is to press halfway, anticipate, then click.
    others say use the multiple shutter.

cheers.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Wonderful, fun action shots, daimos! It's easy to see what a good time everyone was having. I have to add that as I was looking at them, I thought - Gee, that GF1 does action well! - and then I read Don's comment and laughed out loud.:biggrin:

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    daimos....
    I'll explain the problem.....
    Here you come along, your using you camera and getting nice stop action shots. Now enter the problem...
    The reviewers already told the entire photographic universe that this is impossible to do in this format.... they made 1 big mistake....
    they didn't tell YOU, that it was impossible....so...in your innocent quest to make good images, you broke a rule....
    now you post the photos here on the forum....then all the members start to think, hey, I can do that....then it starts popping up all over the net....
    I mean its become a movement... Shooters all over the universe are making stop action images....geeze....what's next?

I'll tell ya what's next....the reviewers have nothing to write about.....they can't complain because guys like you hang out at mu-43 and do things that break the mold, things that push the envelope, things that no mere mortal shooter is supposed to be able to do....

The worlds will collide my friend....be careful in what you do.....
    we don't want the reviewers to get nervous......

• Like Like x 4
  6. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    thanks again.

all shot in iAuto :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  7. JaoQuinz

JaoQuinz Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 4, 2010
    Where do I sign up? I'm joining the movement!

• Like Like x 2
  8. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Great colour and action - there is no exif - can you give the exposure figures please?

9. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    all with ISO 100
    #1 : f2.5 , 1/1600
    #2 : f3.5 , 1/400
    #3 : f4.5 , 1/640
    #4 : f4.5 , 1/800

I used iPhoto's Enhance feature. :smile:

10. shoturtle

shoturtle &nbsp;

Oct 15, 2010
    To plays devils advocated, you were using a pancake, and all these shots look like the lens was at infinity, as the subject are far away. Not much AF'ing to do by the lens. You pretty much lock focus. As you can tell form the shots.

You pick and choose your shot, and the camera will capture the photo. But if you need to track a running back zigging and zagging down the football field. You will encounter problems. Look at the dimension of the beach volleyball court vs a football field or tennis court vs a school track, there is allot more changes in ranges.

So while you can get some shots. If someone is after recording their children sporting interested. You are setting them up for failure telling them the m4/3 is the right camera. You will cause them to miss more shots then capture shots. As sport photography has a high level of miss already even with a pro or semi pro level dslr.

The photography world there is no prefect camera, but allot of people love their camera and instill more abilities then they actually have.

11. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Then show me a single camera of this size that would have out performed the GF1 here. Oh wait... There isn't one..

It's unfair to compare, like you have, an interchangeable lens compact, with a "pro" DSLR. Furthermore most parents aren't looking for pro quality images of their kids or friends playing volleyball. They want to capture a few great memories with little or no effort on their part. Do you really think that mum and her Canon 1100D and 18-200 f5.6 lens set on the magic green square is actually getting better images than these?

I am a "pro" photographer and I take small cameras to my kids sports, like m4/3, because like most every one else I don't want to lug around huge cameras everywhere I go. Like most parents, most of my shots are taken using my phone (and I carry a camera everywhere I go).

The best camera for the job is the one you're prepared to carry with you. And most of the time, for most people that isn't a big DSLR, or even a small one.

Gordon

• Like Like x 2
  12. semma

semma Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Don't you go a little bit to far now?
    The topicstarter made nice action shots, and you, of course, what else could we expect, are searching excuses why he made those good action shots.

The worst part as the dslr's advocate is the fact you state the topicstarter is setting people up for failure telling the people the mft is the right cam???? Are you not a bit ashamed? Can everyone please take pictures as he like, and not as you like? And can you keep such statements for yourself in the future?
    You stated in another topic that dxo is not the bible, well, you are not god neither :wink:

13. shoturtle

shoturtle &nbsp;

Oct 15, 2010
    Yes, I am not bible. But physic is physic.

What some over state the capability of a system, and others buy into it thinking it will give them that capability. And then find out, it is not the advocate of that system that shell out the money, rather the person the follow the inaccurate advise. And then they have a camera that does not meet there need.

I am not a dslr advocate, I am a advocate of using the best tool for the task at hand to maximized your keepers. But some are more into the the belief that this is not the correct action, with their statements.

14. shoturtle

shoturtle &nbsp;

Oct 15, 2010
    Also it was the OP of this thread that injected that M4/3 with a 20 1.7was a good action setup into that thread. I just rebuff that facts of those shots. It is near focus to infinity. Which is why there is very deep dof in all those shots. It is what I would do if I were using a pns, it is pretty much a prefocus and just snap the shot, not tracking of the subject. And the shots that was posted did not match what the OP of the other thread stated he was intending to shoot. IE track and field. I do not know a track and field competition that revolves around a volleyball court. Think the 100m dash is very quickly out of the range of the 20 1.7.

15. shoturtle

shoturtle &nbsp;

Oct 15, 2010
    The facts are if someone is after sports of their kids growing up m4/3 currently is not the right system for that. It can get a good shot, and a moment now and thing. But it is far from consistence.

As a pro, you should know that 2.8 gives a photography a great leg up when shooting action. As more light increase accurate focus. Then would all the f4-5.6 zoom that m4/3 with the black out evf be able to track a action sequence form start to finish.

All I every see is isolated shots with m4/3 without much isolation of the subject when shooting action. They make for memories, but as a sport photo, it is not much to talk about. So if sport photography in your book is isolated shot, an not the whole sequence. Then M4/3 can do some of it.

Like I said, the OP injected the capabilities of the 20 1.7 as a sport lens in the other thread, where the OP mention track and field. So do you think that would be a good sports setup when shooting a hs track and field or a football game.

16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    ? I've stumbled into some kind of DPReview match!

Anyway, good to see volleyball pictures with a Chinese flavour.

• Like Like x 4