Chinese 42.5mm f1.2 & 24mm f1.7

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by agentlossing, Sep 15, 2014.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
  2. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    The Price and Spec of these two lenses is quite exciting. I really hope the IQ is there.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting, but I already have the Oly 45 and the PL25 - both outstanding, native lenses. If I were just putting my kit together, though, these would be worth a look.

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Not bad...however....the 24 will give you very close to the same AOV as the 20 at the same speed...three times the weight, no AF and a bigger body for around the same price...don't really see the point.

The 42.5 could be good *IF* it was at least as sharp as the 45. Otherwise, you'd have to stop it down, making it pointless. Also, it's over twice as heavy and I'm sure it'll be bigger...lightweight/small optics is part of the reason I got into M4/3...no point in losing AF, going bigger, etc, just to save a few bucks.

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    There are plenty of people for whom the real aperture and focus rings are a plus, also I'm not sure the 20mm is the lens to compare it to.
    GX1•EP1•GF3•17/2.8•30/2.8

• Like Like x 1
  6. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    It's kind of funny how we've gone full circle...a couple of decades ago there was a massive push to take aperture rings off lenses and put them on the bodies...now there's a push the other way. Having used both extensively (I've shot and still do, tons of film), I still prefer the on-body controls...anyways...that's a bit of a tangent.

I'll reserve final judgment on these until the samples/reviews are out, but they'd have to be blazing sharp with no CA, etc to be even considered contenders, especially the 24, an area already flooded by native-mount offerings. The 42.5 might do well even with average performance due to its speed, but the 24 I think is fighting an uphill battle.

EDIT: And if you don't like the 20mm comparison, I could compare it to the O25, and come to much the same conclusion. :D It's sharp, lighter, likely smaller, just as fast and offers AF for only about 30% more money. Given the choice between the two - even if the Chinese lens was as good optically as the Oly - I'd go with the Oly.

• Like Like x 3
  7. pompori

pompori Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 21, 2014
    I think this is great news even if the lenses aren't that great, because the increased offering in lenses means that the MFT system has drawn enough attention and it's sales are big enough to make it profitable for manufacturers to develop products specifically for this system, making it possible for the price of the lenses to go down. Maybe even Olympus can finally be pushed to include a lens hood with their lenses...

On the other hand, we all know that chinese manufacturers are capable of everything, so this could be a pair of excellent lenses with a price that will make them a total bargain, or fail miserably being pretty mediocre pieces of glass. If I have to guess, they will tend to the first option, though, having some flaws.

That said, I will be looking forward to see some samples, tests and reviews of these lens.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Actually these aren't specifically developed for the m4/3 system. They're developed for APS-C mirrorless - notice that the same lenses were announced for Sony E mount.

• Like Like x 1