China: Beijing & The Great Wall of China

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Zee, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Finally sorted and edited from January this year. It was cold, but always sunny, and my only regret was the lack of snow - though it was cold enough. Most of these are taken around the Forbidden City, the art district in Beijing (798 Art Zone), and the Great Wall.

According to the locals I spoke to, there should have been some snow around, especially at the Great Wall. Oh well...

Gear used (as Flickr seems to delete exif data these days):
    E-M1, Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye, M. Zuiko 75 F1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40 F2.8
    Enjoy! C&C welcome.

In random order:

[​IMG]China2015 (1 of 19) by Zee Malota, on Flickr

[​IMG]China2015 (2 of 19) by Zee Malota, on Flickr

[​IMG]China2015 (3 of 19) by Zee Malota, on Flickr

[​IMG]China2015 (4 of 19) by Zee Malota, on Flickr

[​IMG]China2015 (5 of 19) by Zee Malota, on Flickr

[​IMG]China2015 (6 of 19) by Zee Malota, on Flickr

7 NSFW - I couldn't help myself with this one
    [​IMG]China2015 (8 of 19) by Zee Malota, on Flickr

[​IMG]China2015 (9 of 19) by Zee Malota, on Flickr

[​IMG]China2015 (10 of 19) by Zee Malota, on Flickr

[​IMG]China2015 (11 of 19) by Zee Malota, on Flickr

[​IMG]China2015 (12 of 19) by Zee Malota, on Flickr

[​IMG]China2015 (13 of 19) by Zee Malota, on Flickr

[​IMG]China2015 (14 of 19) by Zee Malota, on Flickr

[​IMG]China2015 (15 of 19) by Zee Malota, on Flickr

[​IMG]China2015 (16 of 19) by Zee Malota, on Flickr

[​IMG]China2015 (17 of 19) by Zee Malota, on Flickr

[​IMG]China2015 (18 of 19) by Zee Malota, on Flickr

[​IMG]China2015 (19 of 19) by Zee Malota, on Flickr

I forgot to process the food stuff, anyway, another time...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 32
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. joma416

joma416 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2014
    Toronto, ON Canada
    I'm glad you posted these. I know you've said that #12 is your favorite and it's hard for me to disagree, but I think #11 is awesome. You have certainly done better with the 7.5 fisheye than I have, I will have to use your inspiration to do better with it. I think the final pic is a great example of this. There is definitely a fisheye effect, but it doesn't take away from the image at all.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thanks for the kind words! I am partial to 12 due to the message. I travel a lot, and it rings true, though I am also conflicted, as someone effectively defaced one of the greatest structures in the history of humanity.

#11 was quite amusing, she turned to ask me if I wanted them to get out of the way - and I thanked them for being there!

The Fisheye is fun, but there are a lot of misses with it too. I'm still learning, and now that I have the Oly F1.8, I have extra learning to do with the larger aperture. I've been dragging it everywhere, taking random shots in cafes, of my lego, random cars on the street, just to try and mess around and see what does and doesn't work. It's a lot of fun! I learned a lot from the Samyang, and am very glad I bought it!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    #11 and #12 are amazing. That was my initial reaction before reading any comments. Nice set.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks for sharing Zee. I like them all, but 11 is pretty much perfect.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Outstanding series!
  7. 少林chris

少林chris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2013
    Los Angeles / Copenhagen
    Love the shot of the couple on the wall. Nice series.
  8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    11&12 are a toss up for me. I really like the "well-loved" sidecar in #5.
  9. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    Hey I expected to see lots of people on the Great Wall :2thumbs:
  10. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

#5 is my current wallpaper.

My reason for picking 12 as my favourite, is because I used the fisheye, and it came out exactly as I envisioned it. I'm still new to that lens, and am very much a "tele" shooter. I like #11, don't get me wrong, but it's a "run of the mill" 75 F1.8 shot, it's the sort of thing I normally look for. I bought the Samyang for cheap thrills, and loved it so much I've ended up buying the Oly 8mm F1.8 Pro - so I can take it scuba diving.

The fisheye is fun!
    That bit was easy. Go in winter, go alone, go late, and walk far. There were plenty of people, but they tend to get lazy and did not really go beyond a certain point. You actually want to be a bit fit (which, fortunately, I am), as the stairs can be quite intense!

11. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    11 & 13 for me...nice set
  12. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    I went to Badaling (the oldest public site near Beijing) last September; the top (from the cable car ride) was extremely crowded... much more so than when I visited Badaling in 1998.

a. it's probably much less crowded in winter (when the pics above were taken); Beijing is miserably cold & windy Dec-Feb.

b. there are a lot of new sites open on the way to Badaling; my friends went in July (last month) and found some mostly vacant areas.

c. there are other sites in other provinces. might be worth it for the reduced pollution, but they could be a long ways from other attractions.

d. at Badaling, the side without the cable car looked less crowded last September but I did not go up this time (that's the part I went up in 1998).

Between the crowds and the severe pollution, my pics from last September are merely snapshot-worthy, although I haven't tried contrast/haze enhancements yet.

13. dermaus

dermaus Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    All great shots. Singing to the choir, it seems, but number 11 is an amazing capture.
  14. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    I agree. #12 is a wonderful shot, but I can't get past my hatred of graffiti.

#11 is the clear winner to me. The way the woman's face is turned is perfect.

Do you remember the name of that section of the Great Wall? I climbed it there on a warm day in May about 5 years ago. I was not fit, and the experience was -- memorable.
  15. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

I can't remember the name (apart from Badaling), but I do remember where it is.,116.0164724,421m/data=!3m1!1e3

If you look at that map, and find North Building B, then work your way left (East) to the wall, that is roughly the section. If you follow the wall up (North),you will see a very sharp corner, like an upside down V - that is pretty much where the crowd stopped.

The side without the cable car was, indeed, empty. Apart from the couple in the photo, and maybe 3 or 4 other people. The cable car side did have a fair few people, but I wouldn't call it crowded. I'll process one of the pics from that side and post it up for reference.

As for pollution, it was actually very clear my first day in Beijing, no haze at all, I was quite surprised. Not so lucky the days after, though. Having said that, I try and use the haze, it does bring out interesting sunset colours.

I'll certainly be looking to go to a "less touristy" section next time. I don't usually mind being away far from other attractions - I can only do one thing at a time anyway. So long as there is food...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  16. sriracha

sriracha ballistic photons

Jan 22, 2011
    these are wonderful pictures. super impressed that you were able to adapt the 75mm to such a wide variety of scenarios