1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Chili Recipe Winners

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by dermaus, Apr 6, 2014.

1. dermaus

dermaus Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Seattle
    Jeff
    Having friends over tonight and the grey and drizzly atmosphere calls for a good chili. Has anyone tried any chili recipes online that are killer? Also, it'll have to be zero on the spicy scale, unfortunately, as we have toddlers that'll be eating it, too.

Was thinking of cooking up some brats or roasted Brussels sprouts for a side, along with beer and maybe a good bread, too, of course.

2. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    You're already on a hiding to nothing - a great chilli takes time, has to be simmered for hours then left overnight and heated for serving next day.

When we make chilli we keep aside some mince (minced beef) and don't add spices to that serving. It is known as 'Baby Chilli' - learned that from coffee shops who sell warm milk as baby-chino. 2 Pots and the grown-up can enjoy a real kicking' chilli.

Personally I never have sides; chilli is served on rice or chips (french fries - honestly awesome) with beer or water. Possibly ice-cream for dessert.

Try this from The Hairy Bikers (a Great British tradition in the making)

http://www.hairybikers.com/recipes/chilli-con-carne/1626

Cheers,

QBI

3. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    Here is a recipe that I have used for the past 35+ years. I am not quite sure about the amounts of ingredients and so on, but you'll get the drift.

Couple pounds of ground meat. Lots of folks use all kinds of ground meat- coarse ground chili meat, ground round steak, etc. I use just regular ol' ground hamburger meat.
    Couple of onions, chopped
    2-3 large cans of crushed tomatoes
    3 different kinds of chili powder- your choice, as long as they are different brands. I use Gebhardt, Adams, and whatever other brand I can find. Trust me on this. There is a difference in taste and color in chili powders. If you want to get all exotic on everyone, try a bit of ground ancho or chipotle chili powder, but I use just regular ground red chili powders.
    1 can of beef broth
    A little bit of dill seed
    Just a sprinkle or two of cayenne pepper for some heat
    Just a tsp of minced garlic
    Salt and pepper
    Lots of beer- do not waste it putting it in the chili- drink it

Brown the meat and drain. Chop the onions. Toss everything in a big pot. I use a large crock pot and let it cook all day on low. If you cook it in a regular pot, cook it for several hours, stirring every now and then. The key to this chili is to cook it until the meat starts to break down just a bit and you have a smooth, yet rough consistency. You will know it when you see it and taste it.

While you are cooking it, taste it every now and then and see if your seasonings are working. The taste will change slightly as you cook it.

Garnish with cilantro right before you serve it. Some people like to garnish with shredded cheese as well. Me, I just toss on a bit of torn cilantro right before I chow down. And finally, serve with crackers- regular plain saltines will do. Chili is a common working man's meal- never try to make it too fancy.

The one thing I cannot stress enough is never, ever put beans in this chili. If you do, the Chili Gods will come and get you and you will never be seen again.

Also, never serve chili over anything. Simply ladle up a big bowl of red and eat it.

I have won a couple of chili cook offs with this recipe, as crazy as that sounds. Once again, the key to this recipe is to let it cook slowly until that meat just starts to break down and those spices mingle together.

Feel free to experiment and play with this recipe. The art of making a good chili is get a recipe that works for you and your friends. You will know if you have succeeded by how much is left over.

4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Cincinatti chili on spaghetti is the best. Have it all the time.

5. adamsmt2013

adamsmt2013 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2013
    +1 on the Cincinnati Chili. I try to have some at least once a month, with beans!

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I use Ancho's in Adobo sauce in my chili. Love it.

7. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    OMG.....chili with beans on spaghetti.......this makes me want to jump off the nearest cliff.:eek::biggrin:

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I've had it both ways, with and without beans. My grandmother grew up across from Cinci and she put beans in. Many recipes however don't have beans, so its more of a chili sauce on spaghetti.

9. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I don't like beans in my chili. I do cook sauteed/carmelized onions in mine though. Don't like those raw.

10. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    Throw a load of coconut in there - believe me it works very well.