Child at a festival - C/C welcome

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by the_traveler, May 14, 2013.

1. the_traveler

the_traveler Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    This is a cropped grab shot at 1/160, f 3.5 ISO 200 using OMD and Panasonic 12-35 2.8.

For the quality/weight issue, I can't see how one could improve on the OMD with a good lens for grab shooting.

[​IMG]

2. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I don't like it. Just kidding, Lew. It is a nice enough photo, well processed, nicely cropped, good color presentation and I happen to love a good hot dog. Other than that, I got nothing.

3. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I like it fine also.

The crumb, while "real," is distracting. I don't need a crumb to tell me she is eating a dog. Clone it out.

Other than that, nice catch.

woof!

4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    A nice capture of the child enjoying her hotdog.

I do however find two things distracting, one is the crumb one her mouth that has already been mentioned and the other is the yellow/orange/black diagonal on the left side of the image, to me it detracts from her face and distracts from the main content of the young girl enjoying her hot dog - perhaps some editing work will resolve this.

If I was going to be even more picky, I would propose removing the large diagonal board behing her head by cloning in the grey background, this would then concentrate focus even more on her and the food in front of her.

This is purely my thoughts on what I would attempt to do to make it a stronger photo.

5. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    I agree with what everyone said about potential changes to make this a better photo.
    If I have time, I will go back and make all of the suggested changes and repost.

This was the shakedown cruise for the OMD for me that convinced me it will work in lieu of my D700. It is, if anything more complicated than the D700 and will take a bit of actual reading to run.

6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    me too

Lew,

I have just made the same move and parted last month with my long serving D700 kit, it was heavy, bulky and due to owning the GX1 it was only being used about twice a year!

I could not justify keeping it and after trying a friends OMD and seeing IQ in comparison, my mind was made up and I did the deed - let all the Nikon & my GX1 kit go and picked up the kit in the image below minus 25mm that I already had. I got a trade in price of £2900.00 so only paid a difference of £92 for kit..........good value for money for me and my neck and shoulders are feeling the benefit as well!!

Olympus_kit.

7. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    I am 'in process', having sold one body and two lenses.
    Two lenses are up for sale on eBay.

I have only two lenses for the OMD (12-35, 35-100) and have ordered the 40 Oly 1.8.

If the 1.8 works as hoped, specifically for portraits, I will sell the rest of my Nikon stuff - D700 body, 24-70, 85 1.4, 70-200 and SB800.
    I will wait for a good long fast prime for sports.

8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    To me, there's nothing particularly "special" about this image -- it doesn't provoke any particular emotional response for me. Surely the girl is cute, but her expression is quite blank and the moment is not "decisive" with her looking directly at the camera. I think that the image would be more moving if she were biting into (or at least looking at) the dog.

Also, due no doubt to the fact that this was a crop, the noise level is such that it impedes the image and nothing about the image is remarkable enough to overcome this technical deficiency.

I'm really not trying to be negative, and I hope that this critique is taken in the manner that it is intended. :smile:

9. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    she`s in between a smile and a chew. that`s how i looked at it.

10. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I don't know, the smile looks a little mischievous to me. But, not having children, I think they all look mischievous.

11. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    thanks all, I appreciate that you took the time to look and also to comment.

12. jjviegas

jjviegas Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2013
    Madrid, Spain
    I also replaced all my Canon 5D MkII and L lenses gear for an OM-D kit, no regrets so far.

About the shot, I've learned more from the critiques made here than anything I could add.