Chickened out on being an early adopter

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by picker77, Mar 22, 2012.

1. picker77

picker77 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2012
    After shooting with a D200 and a raft of large lenses for several years, I've been wanting to add something smaller and lighter, and so have been looking hard at MFT. Since I'm an Olympus fan from the old days, all my homework boiled down to either an E-P3 or the new E-M5. Finally, a few days ago, after much back-and-forth, I pre-ordered an E-M5. This, in spite of historically never being an early adopter of any new model or technology, much preferring to let other brave souls have the pleasures and the risks of owning the first one on the block. However, when I placed the pre-order I probably should have turned off my computer until the E-M5 was shipped--because yesterday I ran into a deal I couldn't refuse on a pristine three-month-old silver E-P3 kit, complete with three Olympus MFT lenses (the usual two zooms plus the highly regarded 45mm/1.8), AND a VF3--and several other filters and misc goodies, for just over $1K shipped.

So now that the deal is done, and I have ordered an Asahi cover kit, I have to hope that I like this bird in the hand, since I've officially canceled my pre-order for the one in the bush. After 50 years of film and several years of Nikon pro-level digital equipment, this is my first MFT. I suppose if it doesn't work out I can always sell the E-P3 and buy an E-M5 later this year, but from a purely subjective viewpoint I really do like the looks of the E-P3 much better. Maybe it's years of using Leica and Canon film rangefinders, but my eye just couldn't get used to that DSLR-like dowager hump on the E-M5. I'd have much preferred to have new guts inside the old shape, with a usable but removable VF--or at least a VF that was more fluidly integrated into the body. And I think I can live without a flip-out OLED.

I'm keeping my Nikon gear. Heavy or not, by now the D200 is a natural extension of my fingers, like touch-typing. It's a couple or three generations obsolete (like me), but I still love it, and ISO 800 and 10MP is good enough--most of the time. Anyway, I'm betting the D200's APS-C 10MP with good VR glass is still at least the equal of 12 MP on a much smaller (but newer) sensor. Maybe I'm wrong. If so, it won't be the first time.
  2. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

The E-P3 is no slouch, you'll love it.

What the OM-D can do that the E-P3 can't is essentially ...
    - take pictures while in a torrential rain or waterfall or dust storm.
    - take pictures in even lower light than you can with the E-P3.
    - Watch a long exposure shot "develop" as you keep the shutter open.

You'll find you want to take the E-P3 with you more often than the Nikon, if you're like most folks. You'll get exceptional IQ, with less bulk for most conditions.

I'm having to wait on the OM-D, wish I didn't have to. But the E-P3, E-P2, and an E-1 are keeping me very happy for the near future.
  3. At 77 years old my thinking is if I am not an early adopter I probably won't be around to be a late adopter. But then again I may be wrong.
    • Like Like x 13
  4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The E-P3 is a great camera. I love mine and won't be parting with it, even though I've also pre-ordered the E-M5.

You got a great deal - congrats! And welcome aboard!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

First off welcome to the forum and I can understand your actions. I'm sure you'll do well with that bargain E-P3 and lenses. I waver daily on my pre-order but wiill probably hang in and sell the GH1.
  6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    what color asahi did u get ?:)
  7. picker77

picker77 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2012
    The E-P3 is silver, so I ordered the conservative black 2-pc kit. I'm actually partial to black cameras but this one sort of picked me. Besides, I didn't care much for the two horizontal chrome stripes on the black version of the E-P3. The silver (with full black covering) is one fine looking machine.

I occasionally do some minor repair work on old film stuff, and I've de-chromed, re-painted and recovered a couple of Leica M's in the past, using Camera Leather's "GripTac", which is outstanding stuff--but the application process is a bit demanding (example M2 photo attached, done in WWII Army olive drab and black GripTac). But this is my first foray into Aki-Asahi's sticky-back material.

BTW, I sold this camera to a guy who just HAD to have it. Been wearing a "please kick me" sign on my back ever since.

Attached Files:

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You got a great price on that kit. I'm sure you'll be happy with it!

I just picked up a "like new" GF3 body for $225 on our Buy and Sell boards and couldn't be more pleased with it. Really pays to buy the used slightly less new model.
  9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

In today's technology world, the difference between early and late adopter are on the order of months.... I think you'll be just fine :)

Except for a couple times in the past, I always buy 1 year old technology at a bargain price when the replacement is released. The E-P3 is very very tempting for me and a good jump from my current E-PL1. So congrats.. its a good camera. I am currently waiting for the OM-D... it might be the third technology/electronic item I buy new. I've filled out the pre-order form and hit cancel. I guess I am not totally convinced yet.

That's a beauty of a M2! I too would have a hard time feeling warm and fuzzy about letting it go. My biggest seller's regret; Leica 28-35-50 Tri-Elmar. I used it for years and sold it for the price I paid for it; now I miss it and its well above what I can afford.
  10. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    That's a great way to get your foot in the door with m4/3. I was also a long time film user, then long time Nikon DSLR user until I got a Lumix GF1. It reminded me of my Hasslepan X-pan with the same good looks and build quality. That did it for me. I went on to get a G1 and then a G3. I no longer use a DSLR ever.

Best wishes on your new adventure - you will love it is my guess!
  11. picker77

picker77 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2012
    Well, the E-P3 kit arrived today. What a nice little piece of Olympus engineering! However, I did immediately order an oversized black grip from B&H, after nearly fumbling the camera a couple of times while trying it out. I seemed to have a hard time finding a good gripping place for my right thumb, I'm hoping the large grip will help that some. At least for me, camera miniaturization appears to have reached it's peak with this thing.

The zoom lenses were pretty much what I expected, very decent 14-42 kit lens, and the 40-150 looks good but I haven't had a chance to try it outside yet. However, the 45/1.8 completely blew me away with its biting, razor-like sharpness. I knew it was good from all the reviews I'd read, but I am truly impressed now that I've had a chance to try this one. However, I suspect portraits of females taken with it might be a little TOO sharp, and might need some softening in post to avoid me getting punched in the nose by hostile models like wives and daughters, lol. OTOH, if you want to count skin pores, then it's a winner! Hard to believe that's coming from a 12MP sensor. I can't wait to try it outdoors--and now I'm wondering if the 12mm f/2 is anywhere near as sharp as this 45/1.8. If it is, I'm going to have to own one.
  12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Let the early adopter get soaked....God bless 'em. I live 6 month old cameras for 1/3 off!
  13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    LOL ... (I'd like to add something witty here ... but you're a hard act to follow).

14. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Welcome to the wonderful world of MFT world .
    I doubt there is another MFT prime as sharp as Oly 45 mm 1.8
    I love this lens and it remains on my EPL2 all the time. It offers the best value for money .
  15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    PS- Welcome aboard picker77. What CarlB didn't mention about the OM-D that you'll appreciate being a dSLR user is the improved Continuous AF and the 4.2 FPS (with Continuous AF).

16. picker77

picker77 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2012
    I like waist-level shooting when I'm out on the street, which is a bit hard to do with most cameras. My ETRSi and RB67 make that easy to do, but neither is exactly low profile. The E-P3 (and I suppose the OM-D) one-touch "focus and shoot" function seems very useful--I can already see me wishing I could do that with the E-P3 while it's hanging around my neck. Let's see... some duct tape and a little mirror...