Chicken or the egg

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I’m working on a project this week that will require merging 3 or 4 photos to make a panorama and it will also require stacking 3 or 5 photos to make an HDR file. How do you determine which process to lead with? I’ll have all the files available to work with so I can try it both ways, but I’m curious what others have done in this circumstance. Do you make a panorama of the 3 or 4 shots at each of the exposure settings and then create an HDR file by stacking the panos or do you make an HDR file by stacking all the shots at each position and then merge the HDR files to make a final panorama?

I’ll be doing all of this on my iPad Pro using the Affinity Photo app. Or at least I’ll be trying too. I don’t know if my iPad has the horsepower so plan to use smaller files to keep it from crashing. Let me know what you’d do in this situation...or if I should just take the time to try it both ways. Thanks!

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I do this often.
I shoot the pics in 5 shot HDR 0 -2 -4 +2 +4
Then I merge them in affinity HDR
Then panorama the results in affinity.
This works for me.
On an old 2012 MacBook Pro.
Takes a bit of time, but the result can be mind blowing. Well it blew mine anyway... lol

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I do this often.
I shoot the pics in 5 shot HDR 0 -2 -4 +2 +4
Then I merge them in affinity HDR
Then panorama the results in affinity.
This works for me.
On an old 2012 MacBook Pro.
Takes a bit of time, but the result can be mind blowing. Well it blew mine anyway... lol
My mind's getting a bit like that too, @Bushboy

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I have never combined HDR images into a panorama (wow, you folks don't kid around!!), but I agree with the recommendations here. One thing I think you would have to be careful of, however, is with the HDR processing, you must maintain the overall exposure level of each part of the pano with respect to the others, IMHO, especially at the edges. Otherwise, it won't stitch properly.

I guess if this proved to be a real problem, you could start with the panos first (stitch all the shots into their respective panos and then combine the resulting panos in HDR to make one image). Obviously they would stitch better this way, I think,. But generally I think that doing the HDR first would be better, as stated by others, if it worked OK.

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks everyone. It's good to see the process is at least doable. Initially I was thinking of stitching the panorama first for each group and then combine them into HDR. I guess my thinking is that the app would have better luck aligning before anything is cooked in HDR. I have no basis for this thought...just an uneducated intuition. Chances are I'll try it both ways and then report back with what I come up with.

The project is here at work. With all things Covid, we are seeing a lot of new associates (law firm) start a summer orientation program virtually. Last summer they did actually travel to our town for a few weeks but we quickly realized the logistics weren't worth the risk. This year the entire summer program will be virtual and we decided having a nice clean shot of typical example of the office they might expect to work in would be good to provide the summer associates. Because not only are we trying them out for the summer, but they are trying us out too. Anyways, the challenges are the windows are fairly large on one wall of the office and that makes for either blown out windows or dark offices. Hence the HDR. And I'm trying to limit the fish-eye effect of a much wider lens and going to try instead to create some nice pano shots with a longer lens in portrait position.

The fun part is I am just the maintenance engineer here. I was on a zoom call as they planned the program out purely due to me needing to know which offices will be occupied or require some furniture exchanges. When they started talking about the photos, I quietly popped up and said I didn't mind taking them. They sort of smiled and nodded - I think they thought I was offering due to the fact that I'm in every day of the week while the majority are all working remotely. Little did they know that not only do I have more camera crap than needed but I've also been woefully bored with the lack of people in the office breaking things and am looking for a challenge! So hopefully I can come up with a nice photo or two and maybe even push the envelope of the "MX guy" stereotype here :biggrin:

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ended up with a total of 35 files - 5 different exposures at 7 different positions. I did end up merging the HDR file first and then stitched the 7 final images last. I’m still getting some glitches at the top near the windows and some of the sky looks weird. I might do it all over again just to see if I can even out the distortion. I’m hoping that if I have the shots a little more level then the distortion will be handled better by Affinity Photo on my iPad.

Also, looking at the rooms now I can really see just how boring they really are. Normally I glaze over that aspect and then once a new associate moves in they liven them up with diplomas, artwork, papers, books, more plants, etc.

CD63B3F6-BBF0-4E3F-B30F-C1FF1D900F19.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
HDR first if you're doing it manually. I think Lightroom has had a feature to do HDR Panoramas for a while now. Some other dedicated pano software has it too. That is for sure the easiest and best way to do it.

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
HDR first if you're doing it manually. I think Lightroom has had a feature to do HDR Panoramas for a while now. Some other dedicated pano software has it too. That is for sure the easiest and best way to do it.
I think the feature hasn’t made it to Lightroom Mobile. Or at least I haven’t found it when in LR on my iPad. I don’t own a traditional computer so everything has to be done in-camera or in an iOS app.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
You could also try Microsoft Image Composite Editor (ICE) to do the stitching. It is my favorite tool for stitching, pretty much always doing a perfect job. It's free, here: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/ice/

Even though I have Affinity Photo, I have never tried its pano stitching, mainly because I am so used to ICE. I cannot imagine that APhoto is better, although it may be as good, of course.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
LR Mobile on iPad unfortunately doesn't have any of the merging features. It's one of my biggest annoyances with an otherwise pretty spectacular RAW editor for the iPad. I don't remember if Affinity had a Merge HDR/Pano function, but what I do remember is that you should not merge RAW files directly on the iPad. It seems to just merge from the built in previews and gives grizzly low resolution panos. Really terrible.

Generally the Panorama function (if working from JPEgs) is pretty capable in Affinity on the iPad.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom