Chicago Sun-Times Lays Off Photo Staff

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Lawrence A., May 30, 2013.

1. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Another Jolt For Journalism: Chicago Sun-Times Lays Off Its Photo Staff - Forbes

In a world where everyone with a word processing program and a gripe to air is a writer, and eveyone with a camera and internet connection is a photographer, I remain cautiously optimisitic as I reach the years where I'll need senior medical attention, that not everyone in a white coat will be proclaimed a doctor.
  2. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    This is so sad. They are going to just let reporters take pics with their cell phones? Wow. I never thought I'd see the day that a major newspaper would fire its entire photo staff. I really think this has more to do with the death of print media than it does the death of professional photojournalism but either way it's a sad day.
  3. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
  4. I think plumber is the only safe haven career.
  5. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Who still reads news papers. I don't. I can in a few minutes on the computer, get news from a multitude of sources. And, don't have to buy each paper every day, nor have to dispose of the papers later. Oh, and how many trees can now be used for building, furniture etc.
  6. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I have a subscription to a newspaper, but it is mainly for the coupons...
  7. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I completely agree. The times have changed and newspapers are an unnecessary relic whose time is very limited. Every newspaper in the country is struggling to restructure their business model to serve up their content via the internet, some successfully and others not so much. Those that aren't doing so successfully are losing money by the truckload and they have to adjust their expenses somehow. I just hate that it's photographers that are getting the axe. And you know other papers are going to follow suit.